Central Pennsylvania October Trout

klingy

klingy

Had a chance to get out for a long weekend with my Dad and a long-time friend over this past weekend (Oct. 13-15). The weather really cooperated all three days – 40s in the mornings, rising to the 60s or low 70s in the afternoons. Overcast all three days, except for some sun and more warmth Sunday afternoon. Stayed at a local state park to State College – close enough to frequent the Waffle Shop for our morning meals, and removed enough to enjoy the owls and fading crickets in the evenings.

Fall is my favorite time to fish, especially in Central PA. Nothing like the drive to Penn’s through the changing leaves. We had the streams mostly to ourselves on each section we fished. The exception was the Little J, which was PACKED on Saturday. So much so that we only fished one small stretch for about 15 mins. Driving across the bridge at Pemberton, we spotted four dudes upstream, and 5 downstream. Yikes.

Made our way around to some well-known waters (Penns, Bald Eagle, Frankstown, etc.), and some more out of the way spots. Ran into some nice hatches that brought a lot of fish up, and they weren’t that picky. Fished a Letort Hopper with a size 14 pheasant tail/hares ear combo off the bend for most of the more flat/riffle water, and nymphed with a green caddis pupa with the hares/pheasant as the trailer in the pockets.

I enjoy terrestrial fishing in the summer, but the sight of a colorful brown nosing a hopper drifting through a bright leaf hatch never gets old. We’ve done a very similar trip for the past three years in the fall, and I won’t complain if we continue it until my last autumn to fish.

Attachments

• Aggressive.JPG
    Aggressive.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Blurry Penns.JPG
    Blurry Penns.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Brown.JPG
    Brown.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Closeup.JPG
    Closeup.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Dark Brown.JPG
    Dark Brown.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Fall Color.JPG
    Fall Color.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 2
  • First Fish.JPG
    First Fish.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Fun.JPG
    Fun.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Halo.JPG
    Halo.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Maybe Wild.JPG
    Maybe Wild.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Nice Run.JPG
    Nice Run.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Penns Hillside.JPG
    Penns Hillside.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Perfect Conditions.JPG
    Perfect Conditions.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 2
  • Red and Blue.JPG
    Red and Blue.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Tag in a Big Stocker Bow.JPG
    Tag in a Big Stocker Bow.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Yellow.JPG
    Yellow.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 2
Very nice looking fish. I too love fall fishing but this post reminds me that I haven't wet a line since 9/14. Passed on an opportunity earlier in the week because I don't think there's much water in the SE portion of the state. Four days scheduled on the water in mid-November, though.

Nice to see a fishing post, too :)

Wow, glad you did well in that area this past weekend. A buddy and I did an overnight trip Sunday/Monday, and despite the awesome conditions and bug activity, we did horribly. Heck, we expected Spring to be the redeemer on Monday, but we did barely any better there. I kind of regretted leaving, since it's been great where I live.

I love October fishing as well. I seem to catch some of my largest browns this time of year and usually on a well presented caddis emerger. Fattening up for the spawn.

Great post and pictures as usual Klingy. Man I really need to find some time to get out on a trout stream.

Great colors on those fish!

Nice Klingy, gimme a ring if your ever local

Nice pics, that bow looks pretty wild, thanks for sharing.

Nice catches.

Back