Central PA small stream conditions?

sarce

sarce

Hi all,

I'll be in Central PA this weekend fishing with my dad. I know that stream conditions for the famous waters are easy to look up, but I want to fish smaller streams to avoid crowds. How are things looking up there on the typical small 20' wide streams with brookies and browns? Specifically looking at Centre and southern Clinton counties.

Appreciate any info, thanks.

It really varies right now. Some streams are a tad high, some are just right, and some are low. It all depends on where the storms from last week hit. I know Fishing Creek is actually on the high side for this time of year so that's getting most of southern Clinton County's small streams.

I was in that general area this past weekend. The storms the second half of last week were very hit and miss, even by PA Summer standards. Some areas got 2", some got nothing, only a few miles apart. I fished two small streams. One in central Lycoming County and one in SE Clinton County. The one in Lycoming got 2" of rain Wednesday/Thursday and was pretty much dialed in. It fished very well. The one in Clinton got something like 0.4" inches and was fishable, but lower than desirable, and clear. I caught fish, but it was slower, and tougher.

There's enough water to fish anywhere you like up there still, but we haven't had any rain since late last week, so everything small (even the ones that got hit last week) is probably trending on the low and clear side by now. Good news, second half of the week and into the weekend has chances of Tstorms each day. If you're willing to drive a little and chase the rain, you may luck into some good conditions.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to closely watch the radar the next few days. It looks more showery than stormy so I have a feeling we'll end up focusing on good dry fly creeks vs good streamer water. Either way I'm very excited to spend some time on some old favorite streams.

Sarce -

I wouldn't automatically dismiss the larger streams as being too crowded at this time of year.
We're into the summer season. And the main spring hatches are long over.
I doubt that you'll encounter any hordes now.

I've been on Penns creek in mid june, and found it practically deserted. Just a week or 2 after the green drake circus

Additionally, stream levels are at their lowest point of the year - typical summer flows.
Though you can still hit some decent hatches, terrestrial fishing should be really coming into it's own
Making for some great dry fly fishing still to be had

Personally, as a confirmed dry fly nut, I like low water conditions on the big streams

I generally can adjust to water conditions. Theain things i have a problem with, 90 plus degrees, full sun, very windy conditions. I am sure you have all been there. I actually prefer overcast, warm and drizzling. These conditions make an all day trip.

Hatches, subside, or you think so, this time of year. Seems like all is alive at that certain point near evening. Experiment with different style flies. Big secretive flies! You know, you see them on the windows at night when a light is on! How about those large stones, those nice green ones, moths, small ones.

What about a crayfish or hellgrammite pattern. Trout love them.

I think timing is the key! More to fishing than just got some time to do it. Plan, take notice, strategy and success. One or two good ones is worth a basket of regulars.

Hit the head of those long pools. Stay there, a big one will show sooner or later! He's coming, the only problem will be, "are you there". You started at noon and by 8, you leave! Start at 9 and fish to midnight! Start at midnight and fish to 5!

No finesse, meat and potatoes all the way. Heavy leader, yanking, pulling, skipping, jerking, upstream, midstream, downstream. "Give it to em". Your way, my way, their way, everyway,

Yank that bastard, fight him tooth and nail, carry a club if you want but never take a net. It would be un sportsmen to net "Old Joe". And when the "beast is at your boots". I am always smoking a cig. That burning red tip touches the tippet and "well that is another story".

What a story of "near success". The boy's said, "maybe you should quit smoking". "I'll think about it as the ashes fall on the dinner table!

Old Joe, you know him, the one that got away!

Maxima12

Maxima- That pretty well sums it up! Awesome.

Thank you both DFG and Maxima. DFG - given the forecast air temps I was assuming many of the larger waters might not fish well or be warmer than safe C&R fishing range. And a crowd to me is one person getting there before me - but, those streams are just so incredible compared to what I have down in my region, I'm sure I could tolerate it :)

Great point on terrestrials. I'm planning to tie up some wet ants tonight. They were possibly my most productive fly in my PSU days outside of the big hatches. Nothing worked better on one of Spring Creek's tribs near campus!

Maxima - no need to sell me on using large flies and "taking it to the big ones." I've been sold on that strategy for years! Night fishing, though, is something I need to do more of. But, since I'll have a 4-hr drive home Sunday evening, I need to sleep Saturday night. LOL. When I have more time I'll try what you say - I don't doubt for a second it will work and work well.

Sarce -

We really haven't had any extended hot weather yet
And it's been relatively cool this past week.
I don't think you would have temperature issues on any of the big limestoners right now.

Especially on Spring Creek below Bellefonte.
I can't recall that stretch getting above 70 very often, if it all

area got sh** tons of heavy rain tonight. Check gauges

Appreciate the reports guys. Was watching radar this evening and was encouraged to see all that rain. Heading out in the morning
I'll be sure to post a trip report next week.

State college may have got lots of rain but much of ncpa did not. Had to run out east today, and got slammed by an impressive downpour on 81 near the conyngham exit around 5.

Much of Lycoming co could use some rain, starting to see some corn wilting up this evening.

We were able to find decent flows and cold water this weekend but only on the more well known waters. Were humbled by never quite being able to piece together what the fish were keying in on. Fished upper Spring Creek for a bit Saturday, each got one fish subsurface. Can't say I've ever caught fewer in the stretch we were on.

Went over to Elk for Saturday evening. No hatch of anything really materialized. As it got dark I started getting aggressive hits on a streamer, but didn't land any. Flows looked so ideal we went back Sunday morning, and I landed a solid fish early on a streamer. We got shut out after that. Fish were very active, and chasing every fly we threw at them - but they rarely committed. We missed a few takes but 90% of the fish would flash at the flies without touching them. Tons of tricos out. If fish were on those it makes sense why we couldn't hook up, I didn't have any flies small enough for that type of fishing. Not many risers though, except for one big pool, but even there it seemed like only 3 or 4 fish rising.

My dad went home early PM and I stuck around to do some blue lining. Had some better success doing that. Got a few good brookies and a couple tiny browns. I'll try to share some pics later if I have time.

All in all, it was a reminder of the difference between pressured fish, which I used to be able to fool back when I fished those streams weekly, and unpressured fish, which I've been fishing over for the last 5 years in MD and VA. Still had fun, and I'd rather be frustrated by not being able to fool active fish than to find no active fish at all.

Anyone have any intel across the northern tier on rain the past few nights? It has been spotty to say the least and has missed my neck of the woods. Had a fishing/ backpacking trip planned this weekend on Pine Creek tribs and its not looking good. Anyone know if Northern Clinton got any rain? It looked like some storms were popping up on radar last night, but gauges up there are limited.

LYCO, Had to laugh on this one. Well young man, when did rain ever stop you. Rain the "praised water god". On the rise, fishing is a big surprise! Or, would you rather see the fish and not catch them!

You will be fine in any climate. All you do, is adjust! Fishing can be 365 day a year.

This is what the Max would bring for food. Big container of baked beans with onions, bacon, steak with brown sugar added. Tea bags, a empty soup can, quick coffee and 2 plastic bottles, Black Velvet.

If i do not catch any? Who cares? But without a doubt, i will get my limit. Garbage bag for a poncho, Long rod, leaders, flies and determination.

Rain, you are finally equal to the trout. They are all wet too! It should feel good, the rain washing our sins away!

Camarillo Brillo, I saw her, sunning on a rock, with 3 cards in her hand. She, said, "come here". I scrambled to get straight, right away. "Yes, I shouted". She gave me ice on that hot day. Cooled me off to 92.6 degrees.

So, it does not matter what kind of day it is. I, guess it matters the most, "you're there".

Seen all good people turn their heads today, so that is why I'm on my way! Yes, Indeed!

As a YES fan that's one of the few times I understood Maxi!

I am not running from rain Maxi, in fact if I knew where we could find a good thunderstorm Friday- Sunday I will be in my vehicle chasing it! If water temps don't cool down I will adjust my fishing plans and either target stocked trout for the campfire, or warm water species. I would rather not kill wild trout trying to practice catch and release in many of our streams right now.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
If water temps don't cool down I will adjust my fishing plans and either target stocked trout for the campfire...
That's ironic, on Sunday I fished a Pocono freestone and the water temp was 50F! Too cold for wild browns. After taking that temp I knew it was going to be a slow day. I did catch 8, which isn't horrible, but when that temp gets to around 60F I'll catch four times that. To me, water temp is the single most important factor in wild trout fishing.

I hope you keep the practice strong. I, however, not a fish hog, looking for next outing to provide a very good friend, Fresh Trout, I will be looking for the orange one's inside. My gift, a gift of friendship and purpose. My goal, young man is to pass the purpose. Important from friendship, that will determine the "Blow", needed! Information, very important in sustainable fishing!

Be the giver of an exciting day for those that do not. Joy,what you provide to others. A nice meal for a friend and family! Once or twice a year. Now, my plan on this one. Bald Eagle Creek, Milesburg. Works both ways, nice meal and I go again!

Son, understand this is a sacred life event. {Cult, Sacred Life}. The meaning of sharing, deeply imbedded in my way. For me I am satisfied with a hot dog, Tribute to a friend!

Trout, deboned, left whole, not filleted. No head no fins, Just plain "GLORY". to the beast of water. A palate exercise in pure happiness!
A drool for the towel, A toothpick, smile and glass of wine.

And a good day till next time! Share- Shape- Help- Annoy- Recruit- Empower! Those I annoy, well never had the sense! Those recruited, "Have the Power". Pusher---Man!

Maxima12

wildtrout2 wrote:
lycoflyfisher wrote:
If water temps don't cool down I will adjust my fishing plans and either target stocked trout for the campfire...
That's ironic, on Sunday I fished a Pocono freestone and the water temp was 50F! Too cold for wild browns. After taking that temp I knew it was going to be a slow day. I did catch 8, which isn't horrible, but when that temp gets to around 60F I'll catch four times that. To me, water temp is the single most important factor in wild trout fishing.

You can find cool enough water around NCPA, however water levels are low enough in many small streams that fish are becoming confined to the large holes. Slate Run tackle shop had posted that Slate Run itself was measured at 68 degrees several miles apart earlier this week.

Back