CDC Para Post Help

Weesh

Weesh

OK, I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out. I am trying to tie a size 18 BWO, parachute style with a CDC para-post. I am inverting my fly on my rotary vice, attaching a pair of hackle pliers to the CDC, and trying to wrap the hackle around the CDC. The hackle jsut keeps slipping down the post, no matter what way or how tight I wrap it. In order to have the fly upright and do this, I would need 3 hands, so thats obviously not gonna work. What am I doing wrong?

Without using a "gallows tool" (the proverbial third hand), the secret to wrapping hackle on the post is to get a good thread base. Wrap up the post, covering both the post and stripped hackle base to the height you want to start at. At this point, you could put a TINY drop of super glue on the thread base to make it stiffer. When dry, wrap the hackle DOWN the post to the tie off point, and tie off. If your wrapped post is not very stiff, you will probably have a tough time - be gentle!

Of course, you could always cheat and buy that third hand - like this.

This tutorial might help with making a good thread base to wrap the hackle:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=32

Pay special attention to steps 16 to 21.

Hope this helps!

H.A.

the secret is forget using the cdc for a post , it is not needed and much too expensive to waste , the hackle makes the fly float , the post is for visibility , and it makes a comparadun fly too , use white poly yarn for the post and wrap a few wraps of thread up the post and wind ur hackle , your done !

I use cdc for a post on may sulfurs all the time. Make the warps looser not tighter to get it to stay..then snug it up a little. The thread base mentioned will also help. Its also worth doing because they float for freakin' ever. The also can sink and be coaxed to pop to the surface like an actual emerger with the cdc and that can be deadly. You could also tie an very over sized post for hackling purposes and then clip it to size

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5KzcUpacOA&feature=fvst

I'd skip the cdc as well. z-lon or poly yarn for parachutes

HA and Tom, very helpful advice indeed. I think I was not wrapping the post enough with thread to support it, and my posts needed to be beefed up in volume. I tried doing both, and came out with a perfect result.
Troutslammer and Bam, i understand what you're saying, but I already have flies tied with poly yarn, deer hair, etc. I wanted to try a different material for the reasons Tom mentioned. Thanks for all the advice fellas.

the cdc in a para post does nothing to make the fly float , the hackle is touching the water , not the post , it is for mere visibility , but if it makes ya feel like it helps then by all means do it !

troutslammer wrote:
the cdc in a para post does nothing to make the fly float , the hackle is touching the water , not the post , it is for mere visibility , but if it makes ya feel like it helps then by all means do it !

Not true...it pops to the surface like a cork. the cdc remains dry and doesn't get saturated. It absolutely does make the fly float better. You can't get a z-lon or yarn post to get a fly to "surface".

tomgamber wrote:
troutslammer wrote:

Not true...it pops to the surface like a cork. the cdc remains dry and doesn't get saturated. It absolutely does make the fly float better. You can't get a z-lon or yarn post to get a fly to "surface".

How about soaking a poly or z-lon post fly in rainex? I think that may give you the pop you are looking for.

To save the ducks?

Attachments

• Picture 357.gif
    Picture 357.gif
    61.9 KB · Views: 3
i don't fish drys and make em pop up out of the water , the post does not touch the water in a "normal" dry fly drift , and yes if you use poly yarn it does float , try it on spinner wings it really does float quite well

Antron wicks up water like a chamois, but poly yarn stays drier. A little Gink helps, too, if it gets really saturated.

As for the gallows tool? I bought one, used it religiously for a year and now find I don't need to use it al the time. A thick threadbase on a poly post, bind the feather shaft to the post and re-inforce further with that, and a drop of glue if you need it. Once you make 'em tight enough, the tool is just wasted time.

I use poly on spinners to. Yes it floats..until it gets wet...

Tom,
I have just started using McFlylon for my posts & spinners after reading about it in Charlie Craven's book, and he states, it floats by itself, has a sheen that shows on the water much better,holds its shape better and doesn't ball up

Back