CDC BWO

SkyBlue

SkyBlue

This is my BWO using CDC.

I have caught lots of fish on this pattern in the fall and though out the summer. From the Delaware River to Penns Creek, you can use this pattern as a Blue Quill, using a darker (blue) thread.

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 21
Rick,

Nice tie. Don't you think its about time you get those tying videos up on your website? LOL.

Thank you for posting this, it is a really nice pattern. Impressionistic and easy but it hits all the key features. Have you tried adding a tail or shuck?

I fish and tie the same pattern, it's killer!

yes I do put tail on this pattern.

Still working on the video...This winter for sure.

What does the CDC represent. It looks pretty long and was wondering why. Thanks

jcl,

I'm pretty sure it represents the wing, and an indicator.

Very nice! Is that hares ear dubbing on the thorax? It almost looks like thin strands of hemp. haha

I guess my question is should it be as tall as the photo?

Nice! Thanks for posting.

JH

jcl05 wrote:
I guess my question is should it be as tall as the photo?
Good question. I was thinking it was an emerger and the CDC was just there to hold it in the film. There is nothing else to support it, so it obviously won't be a high floating dry.

coat that baby with frogs butt and ride it high and dry.

Nice tye Sky. Simple and sparse my two favorite qualities in a fly.

I like it simple.

I also do the same with my Sulphur. Tread, CDC and a little bit of stiff dubbing.

Attachments

• 024 compressed.JPG
    024 compressed.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 4
you might want to shorten up the wing on both... they look a bit too large

Sky,

For 22 and smaller I use thread, for size 20 and up I use biots for the body and orange thread. I think picky fish key in on the orange/red eyes you see on sulphurs and even olives to a lesser degree.

I make flies with thread, quills and dubbing. You never know which one will be working that day.

Here is a fly using a quill. When I just use thread, I build it up to make the body the right thickness.

Small BWO, Tricos, Midges I just use thread.

Attachments

• 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for the pictures Skyblue. I really like the basic pattern, but I'm still confused by how you would fish these patterns and hope you will comment. I can't imagine that these would float upright no matter how much you goop them up because there is no structure to hold them upright (like an outrigger created by hackle). So I would have guessed that the CDC either gets caught in the film and suspends the body just below or in the surface film to represent an emerger, or if you do use floatant, the fly might lay on it's side and mimic a spinner or cripple.

You never use floatant on a CDC fly. One comment was about the length of my CDC feathers. That is because the body will break the film and the fly does float without a problem. The key is keeping it dry with false cast everytime you want to put it on the water. I do tie up patterns with tails and use them more in a faster water situation. This helps keeps them floating high.

Here is an emerger pattern I have been using. This is a generic (Adams) pattern. This has been performing well and many stream and rivers. I do spit on the body so it sits low or breaks the film.

I am not too technical on matching colors, I am more concerned about contrast, size and then color.

Attachments

• Photos 042 copy.jpg
    Photos 042 copy.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 4
SkyBlue wrote:
You never use floatant on a CDC fly. One comment was about the length of my CDC feathers. That is because the body will break the film and the fly does float without a problem. The key is keeping it dry with false cast everytime you want to put it on the water. I do tie up patterns with tails and use them more in a faster water situation. This helps keeps them floating high.

Here is an emerger pattern I have been using. This is a generic (Adams) pattern. This has been performing well and many stream and rivers. I do spit on the body so it sits low or breaks the film.

I am not too technical on matching colors, I am more concerned about contrast, size and then color.

Got it. So these are emergers. I agree on not using floatant on CDC. I think there was some confusion about the wing length because a few people thought that these were floating like traditional dry flys. Someone else suggested adding floatant, but it still would not make the wing ride straight up like a dun pattern.
That is an interestingly colored Adams. Thanks again for sharing the pics.

Back