CDC and Elk

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

I tie and fish these regularly. I tie mine with the cdc body, a CDC underwing, and a little elk. I was doing a little reading and see that the original pattern does not call for the underwing. Any thoughts or opinions? How do you tie yours?

BelAirSteve wrote:
I tie and fish these regularly. I tie mine with the cdc body, a CDC underwing, and a little elk. I was doing a little reading and see that the original pattern does not call for the underwing. Any thoughts or opinions? How do you tie yours?

I tie it the original Hans Weilemann way with a CDC body and deer hair wing. I see no need for any underwing. Also the original CDC & Elk never used any elk at all....lol. Hans just named it that. Very simple and effective fly.

I tie mine with the cdc underwing. Very effective fly.

clydeman wrote:
I tie mine with the cdc underwing. Very effective fly.

The CDC used for the body, naturally gets trapped under the deer hair wing. Why add more material and an extra step?

Here is info on the fly from Hans W. the originator, along with links to the tying steps and a video:

http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweilenmann/cdcelk.htm

HTH

My favorite caddis pattern is with a cdc under wing and deer hair tied forward the brought back over the body to give a head on it. Floats like a cork and looks very buggy in the water.

Back