CDC and Elk Question

S

surveyor06

The original pattern calls for natural dun cdc but unfortunately I ran out and my local fly shop only had light dun. My question is, do you think the color makes that much of a difference, or is the movement of the cdc is what's effective about the fly?

Use whatever color of CDC you want your body to be. Olive, bright green, tan, black...

I tie mine a little different. I dub the body whatever color I want. I then strip a bunch of cdc from the stem and tie it as an underwing, just like the elk hair. Then I tie the elk hair over it as normal.

I found some olive CDC with grizzly barring printed on it. That's been working well for me.

Any color works. I tie mine in all colors to match the naturals. Just match your cdc to the colors of your dubbing that you would use for a typical EHC.

surveyor06 wrote:
My question is, do you think the color makes that much of a difference

Between natural dun and light dun cdc? Absolutely not.

I guess my question is, would light dun work. Doesn't really match anything, but then again, the natural color, which is a little darker than what I'm using doesn't match anything specific either. How important is the color?

McSneek,

That's what I was looking for.

Back