cauterizing tool

A

alatt

Has anyone ever used this type of tool to shape deer hair or feathers on flies. Do they work, and are they safe

I'm guessing your talking something similar to a wood burnin tool, I'm sure it would work to a point. But control could be an issue as to how much burns away. The smell might also be an issue.

Yes and yes. I've had one for years, I use it all the time. Go ahead and get one, once you have it you will use it all the time for a lot of different things. It's great for clearing the eye of material, take care of the thread when you do. You might burn the thread once or twice but it will not be long before you will get used to where to place the tip not to do that. I don't completely shape hair bugs but for cleaning things up you can't beat it. If you burn to much it will stink, as far as control to amount burned once you work with the tool awhile you will "gain" a good working knowledge of what to do and what not to. Your going to break a few eggs at first, don't let that stop you. I have the rechargeable batteries for mine, just have two sets, when I notice it not heating up as much I charge the other set. Oh, and yes it is very hot it will burn you. In case you do get it, turn it on and wonder about that. Ask me how I know. :-D

Also good for shaping rubber legs
Use batteries that are half dead so the tool doesn't get too hot

I have one and it works fine but I do not use it much.

When I first got it, I was watching Enrico Puglisi make crazy eye sockets with it on streamers so I was sold. Now that I have it, I might have used it 3x in the last year. It is good for some stuff, but I don't grab for it that much.

The problem with the Hareline ones is that the batteries arent technically replaceable and they don't last very long. I complained and they sent me a new one for free. Then I found a tutorial showing how you can cut them open, replace the batteries, then duct tape them shut again. So now I have two.

The one I have I got from Chris helms, after seeing an Oliver Edwards patern. The end screws off to replace the batteries, mostly I use it for clearing the eye. But once you have it you'll find other uses for it. Just like other tying tools some find it usefull and some don't, can you live without it? Sure, but I do find it pretty handy to have around.

Back