Catching super smart trout

Jessed

Jessed

There is a spot I’ve been fishing for about a month and a half and there is a little pool that’s maybe 6 feet wide and 2-3 feet deep with a bunch of nice fish in them and have been catching them. About 2 weeks ago I went there and the fish wouldn’t even take a 22 zebra midge. I threw the box at them and nothing. Last time I was there before I left I slowly walked up and could see maybe 5 fish still sitting there so I know they’re in there! And tips would be awesome thanks!!

Fish downstream- assuming the can’t see you.

Fish in low light - early morning , late evening, when
its raining and the water is a little stained.

acristickid wrote:
Fish downstream- assuming the can’t see you.

Fish in low light - early morning , late evening, when
its raining and the water is a little stained.

Good advice. ^

Sometimes fish simply won't eat, even if you throw everything at them.

You said you've been fishing there - and catching them - for a month and a half.
Don't know how many times that would be.
But if you have been catching the same fish multiple times, they definitely start to wise up a bit. And get tougher to catch.

Personally, I don't care to pound the same hole over and over. Partly because of what you've been experiencing.
And there are just so many other places to fish!

"Super-smart" trout is an oxymoron.

I agree with dryflyguy. They are wising up to being caught.

Thanks guys! I’ve noticed they started take flies but so quick that I cant really tell if I have a strike. I’ve been fishing it with a dry-dropper rig about 18 inches of tippet on my dropper. Sometimes it will be A tiny twitch on my dry that tells me a fish got my nymph

LOL! I heard they are wising up and thought ,"Elmer Fudd." (Old guys might get that)I used to fish a low clear stretch and did well with an ant on a dropper on 6 or 7x. Needed an indicator (or dry) to facilitate a drift. The takes were so light you had to watch the fish and tighten up anytime there was suspicious movement. Spooked a few, but caught a pretty fair no. like that.

Those spooky and highly intelligent fish aren’t trout, they’re Fallfish.

Super smart trout, like unicorns and Bigfoot, can't be caught.

Back