Catch and Release

CaptMatt

CaptMatt

Last year a world record hammerhead shark was caught in my local water. I forget all the measurements but she was huge and was about a day away from birthing 150 pups found when the fish was examined. Today I read that a potential new 30lb line class Mako was caught near the Shore between Pensacola Beach and Navarre Beach. These fish were both gaffed to hell and killed so they could be weighed and the proper steps could be taken to justify a new IGFA world record. The mako was 12'6 and weighed 1,063 lbs.
With all the Catch and Release debate lately how do you feel about this?

I will say that the captain who killed the hammerhead took a serious public lashing for what he did. His reputation took a serious hit.

It would be great if the IFGA would come up with C&R records much like many states use. The problem is the fame and money a person can garner from world records, and history certainly shows that the potential for fame and fortune often bting out the worst in people.

My understanding is that sharks are becoming seriously endangered (although I don't think they're on "the list"). In addition to sport fishing, they are pretty heavily fished for their fins in the Far East (with the rest of the fish being wasted). Their reproduction rate is extremely low. Personally, I hate to see this.

The problem here lies in how to get 1000 lbs of PO'd Shark to the scale.

I remember the big hammer last year - there was a fair bit of media coverage and I think Field and Stream had an article about it. I seem to recall it was caught on a stingray and lashed to the side of a flats skiff to get it in. You're right, the anglers did get some flak for killing it although I suspect some local tarpon fishermen weren't heartbroken. A fish of this size is very old and I agree there needs to be a way to document them for the IGFA. I believe the latter is considering length rather than weight as a new C&R category but it's still hard to get a good measurement and previous records based on weight would still stand. Although I'm a member of the IGFA, line class records simply don't interest me. I have released several fish that I know would have been tippet records (as many others have). In my opinion, the outright killing of any large sharks ought to be banned just as the killing of white sharks in US waters has been banned for some years now.

Let me put it this way....which I think expounds on fish idiots thoughts.

If I caught a record trout I would probably slip the hook out of his lip grab him by the tail (while still in the water) and move him back and forth till he swam away from me. Never would it cross my mind to whack him and get an official measurement.

(a steel head would be a different story mmmmmm)

I was going to say the same for salt water species but where do you draw the line? I have friends who have caught hundred pound halibut. Thats some good eating right there. I don't feel bad for the halibut but do for the shark. Hypocracy on my part but I personaly would not kill the shark.

I occasionally hit a message board for fly fishing the outer banks. Usually the closer it gets to the actual annual trip. I was interested in the opinions of those who are regulars as to their feelings about C&R in those parts. Heck, if its a conservation issue, I wanted to know before I went down there. I was kind of warned not to bring this issue up to strenuously on their board by the guys who sponsors the board. I figure they probably had beat it and each other to death in the past (as we do on occasion). But for me it would be a matter of convenience. If I had brought the proper cooler and such for transport, it wouldn't interfere with fishing more that day and I knew that there was plenty of whatever it was around, I'd keep some for meals, sure. If it was a record, I'd probably never even know it unless someone came over and said," wow, that's a really freakin' big fish!"

It's time for the IGFAto change their rules and allow C & R or just quit the stupidity of giving world records. Get with the times, it is no long cool to kill fish to gain a world record. PA should do the same thing for the state reord fish.

Fishidiot wrote:
I remember the big hammer last year - there was a fair bit of media coverage and I think Field and Stream had an article about it. I seem to recall it was caught on a stingray and lashed to the side of a flats skiff to get it in. You're right, the anglers did get some flak for killing it although I suspect some local tarpon fishermen weren't heartbroken. A fish of this size is very old and I agree there needs to be a way to document them for the IGFA. I believe the latter is considering length rather than weight as a new C&R category but it's still hard to get a good measurement and previous records based on weight would still stand. Although I'm a member of the IGFA, line class records simply don't interest me. I have released several fish that I know would have been tippet records (as many others have). In my opinion, the outright killing of any large sharks ought to be banned just as the killing of white sharks in US waters has been banned for some years now.

Yes they caught it on a gigged stingray, great shark bait. Tarpon fishermen alike were disappointed in the captain’s decision. Dodging sharks is part of tarpon fishing. Although its nice to say that your a record holder at what expense is it truly an accomplishment?

Back