Catch and Release Area of the Youghiogheny River in Maryland

Dr.J 1952

Dr.J 1952

My family wants to get together in Deep Creek MD around April 16, 2023. Has anyone fished the catch and release area on the Yough near there? I have fished the Yough at Confluence in PA for many years. I'm just wondering how big the Yough is in Maryland and what to expect. Any info would be helpful.

I havent fished it in 15 years or so, but used to a dozen days a year. April can see very high and unfishable levels. I preferred 250cfs or less on the Friendsville gauge. You also have to keep track of the Deep Creek power generation. It's nice, big water but not difficult to wade in the main C & R section. Mainly a stocked fishery, though there was emphasis on put and grow when I was fishing it. The Savage isnt that far away and could be good if the Yough is too high.

Last edited:
My family wants to get together in Deep Creek MD around April 16, 2023. Has anyone fished the catch and release area on the Yough near there? I have fished the Yough at Confluence in PA for many years. I'm just wondering how big the Yough is in Maryland and what to expect. Any info would be helpful.
I spend a lot of time at Deep Creek Lake. There are a number of great fisheries very close. April can be very tricky as there can still be plenty of snow on the ground or it could be in the sixties. More than likely some of the rivers will be blown out and some will be fishable. The MD yough is normally pretty high that time of year and as DCG mentioned there can be large releases from the lake. The good news is there is now a gauge right at Hoyes run. The Friendsville gauge is a ways away from where I fish. There are some tanks in the catch and release section. If you're interested in fishing the Savage or the north branch you can check out savage river outfitters, Mike is a great dude. Shoot me a PM if you're looking for more details.

Back