Casting Videos

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Excellent short videos on many aspects and techniques of casting in the linked article >

Keystone Fly Fishers Inc., a Fly Fishers International Charter Club, will be holding the FFI Foundation Level and Bronze Level Fly Casting Skills Development casting instruction at Oil Creek State Park.

Foundation Level is a great starting place for those picking up a fly rod for the first time, or a beginner with some fishing experience. For the Foundation Level, fly fishing outfits will be available for participants to use. Preregistration and prepayment of $35 is required.

Bronze Level is for experienced beginners, intermediate and advanced fly fishers. All participants at the Bronze Level must have their own equipment. Preregistration and prepayment of $50 is required.

Instruction and practice Saturday, June 10th and June 17th at 10:00 a.m. Bronze Casting Skills evaluation (optional) on Saturday, June 24, 2023. Ages 12-17 must be accompanied by an adult.

For more information contact keystoneflyfishers1@gmail.com or call 814-673=5478. Also search
Excellent short videos on many aspects and techniques of casting in the linked article >

Is there anything like this on the east side of the state?

The Evening Hatch has grroup casting lessons once a year. Beginner and a followup Intmediate. Pretty inexpensive. So i signed up. I signed up for the Intermediate. They wanted me to take the beginner class. So rather than argue i did.
People who showed up (about 12 is the limit) sucked at casting. But hey its beginner right. So everybody was to practice what they were instructed for a month which was the followup intermediate class. Same stuff different month .... people cast like crap. Instructor ran around putting out fires. So for any reasonable coordinated person it was a waste of money and I told the Shop it sucked. They hemmed and hawed about learning curves and other bullshit.
So lesson here is get a private lesson and avoid the freak show.

Otherwise it is a good Fly Shop and I took a Intermediate Fly Tying class there about 12 years ago. The class was really good.

Last edited:
I was looking for something that might interest new angler clients as I'd rather see them take a class before spending 8-10 hours in a boat getting frustrated. I can help them but being a little more proficient before trying to fish would be helpful.

Also looking for chance to participate in casting comp without driving 4 hours each way. Curious to see how I'd fare.

Back