Casting question

B

Brmtn

Hi,

I am new to fly fishing... Just started last fall and really loving it. I tried searching for an answer to this question but maybe its not so easy to put into search terms.

When i am casting, things are generally pretty good if i stay focused and deliberate and keep the rod in a straight line.

When fishing, i often start my back cast from one spot on the stream but want my fly to land back upstream in a different place so i can drift or swing it back down.

For example; today i was fishing a stream and was casting quartering down and across and letting the fly swing to straight downstream, then wanting to repeat and move down the stream in this pattern. I was stsrting my backcast with the fly straight downstream but wanted to land it across the stream to begin the swing again... Attempting to change direction from straight back to forward and across seemed to cause a tailing loop in my cast resulting in some tangling and other weirdness.

My question is: how does one manage to keep a good loop in the line while changing direction from back cast to forward cast?

Thanks so much!

Also, great forum! I will be fishing a bit in PA (where my wife is from) and this site has been super helpful already. Any recommendations for trout or smallmouth fishing near Brookville would be welcome. And if anyone is down in SW Virginia I am happy to share what Ive learned about some of the local streams here.

Cheers
Daniel

You could strip most of the line in and just shorten the entire process; letting line out as you approach your target.

Or

Take more false cast as you cast your way back up stream.

Or

I like to use the tension of the water to load the rod and fling the flies back up stream. From there, if I would like to cast across the current you can start false casting from there.

Agree. It can be hard to pick up a significant length of line off the water and go right into a casting stroke. Easiest answer is to shorten the amount of line you have to pick up by stripping some in at the end of your drift/swing, and then false casting it back out for your next cast. As your skills improve, you'll start to be able to pick up more and more line right into a cast, but eventually you'll reach a limit as to what the rod will physically do. All normal.

I know the exact cast you're trying to do though. It falls apart and the line lands in a pile in front of (or in part on) you, downstream and short of your target across from you, right? Admittedly, it's probably not the easiest cast for a beginner to pull off, but start by trying it with a short amount of line out, and lengthen it as you start to master it.

As to changing direction during your false casting strokes...This is also easiest achieved by stripping in most of the line before you start your false casting. With only a small amount of line out, it's easier to change directions while keeping the line in the air and avoiding your loop falling apart. Again, as you get better, you can do it with more line out, but only to a limit.

if youre swinging relatively light flies and small streamers, easiest way to do what you are describing is by doing a snake roll cast. assuming you are a right handed caster, and the water is flowing left to right, let the line swing, get tight so the fly gets close to the surface. then snake roll and cast. if you are a right handed caster and the water is flowing right to left then you can still do a snake roll cast across your body (although doing it left handed is much easier imo). you can pick up and cast a surprising amount of line this way. not the easiest to do with a heavy short head....easier with a scandi or level taper. bunch of youtube videos on the snake roll cast....watch a few and try it next time youre out....think its what you are looking for. good luck.

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. I will try all of these suggestions this evening.

Cheers

Had better luck today... Shorter line helped. Lots more practice will probably help too :)

Thanks all

Back