Casting in the wind

F

Flyfishing42

Finally went with a basic combo from Orvis and bought my first fly rod and reel. I got a short lesson at the store parking lot and then went to a near by park to practice. Had lots of fun practicing. But it was very windy out yesterday and it made things difficult but not impossible. Any pointers for casting in the wind?

Casting in the wind is difficult and is one of those aspects of fly fishing (FFIng) that even experienced FFers can struggle with.

It's actually good to practice in the wind just as you did on the lawn. To cast into the wind, a tigher loop and more forceful cast can punch into wind (up to a point). For crosswind, it's a bit more tricky. Be careful that you don't allow the wind to pull the fly back against your head or body as this is (obviously) unsafe.
Some folks, when caught in a crosswind, will actuall use the backcast to deliver the fly.

There's a reason FFers hate wind.

There was one little accident. My son got a fly in his hand. Pretty deep too. I mended him up though and he was back practicing with me again, at a much greater safer distance. :)

Flyfishing42 wrote:
There was one little accident. My son got a fly in his hand. Pretty deep too. I mended him up though and he was back practicing with me again, at a much greater safer distance. :)

When practicing casting on the lawn, you don't need a fly.

Be sure that you have all your barbs of your flies pinched down flat. Anyone who fishes a lot will eventually stick a hook in flesh. They come back out a lot easier when the barb is pinched flat.

When tying flies, just pinch the barb down before even putting the hook in the vice.

If you buy some flies, as soon as you get home, pinch down the barbs.

Use a piece of yarn tied to the end of your leader, casting with no fly isnt good either. A little yarn gives you the resistance without the hookups.

When casting in a cross wind keep the fly on the down wind side. I learned that the hard way.

Also I second going barbless or pinching barbs. They come out of flesh and clothing much easier than barbed hooks. They also had not noticeable effect on my hook up to landing rate.

Thanks this video and all the tips are much appreciated and helpful. Especially the piece of yarn one. That will save me lots of unnecessary inurys to me and others.

Three important factors for casting into wind: trajectory, line speed and tight loop. For headwind, trajectory is up for backcast and down for forward cast. This has the loop straightening just before fly contacts water so it's exposed to the effects of the wind for the least amount of time.

For tailwind, trajectory is opposite that for headwind. This way the wind lends a bit of assistance to carrying the fly on the forward cast.

For sidewind, keep the fly on the downwind side of your body. For a wind blowing into your casting arm side get the rod tip over the opposite shoulder. All that needs to be done to have the rod tip moving over the opposite shoulder is to point the elbow away from the body while casting. The other two options are to cast with the other hand or turn around and present on the backcast as was mentioned earlier.

Tried to keep this short and sweet.

OldLefty wrote:
Three important factors for casting into wind: trajectory, line speed and tight loop. For headwind, trajectory is up for backcast and down for forward cast. This has the loop straightening just before fly contacts water so it's exposed to the effects of the wind for the least amount of time.

For tailwind, trajectory is opposite that for headwind. This way the wind lends a bit of assistance to carrying the fly on the forward cast.

For sidewind, keep the fly on the downwind side of your body. For a wind blowing into your casting arm side get the rod tip over the opposite shoulder. All that needs to be done to have the rod tip moving over the opposite shoulder is to point the elbow away from the body while casting. The other two options are to cast with the other hand or turn around and present on the backcast as was mentioned earlier.

Tried to keep this short and sweet.

Just a quick note: OldLefty is an experienced teacher of casting (the best caster I've ever met!) and you can take his opinion to the bank.

Great advice from OldLefty -

On another note, make a "practice" fly... either tie up a wooly bugger or take an old crapped out one and cut the hook off with wire cutters at the tail.

It'll give you the feel of casting a real fly, without the chance of hooking yourself (or worse your son). Worst that can happen is gettin slapped with some maribou!!!

I use a piece of glo bug yarn. Works great.

having broken a fly rod casting on the lawn ,suggest strongly that you don't use anything that will catch in the grass but it is a good way to learn to keep that backcast up-tic

Back