Casting for Recovery

gutcutter

gutcutter

The Western PA chapter of CFR is holding it's annual retreat on Sunday August 28th from 8:30 until noon. We will be at the confluence of LJR and Spruce Creek with 14 breast cancer survivors. They have little (if any) fly fishing experience, and the retreat is more about recovery from the disease than fishing.
Each lady will be accompanied by a non-fishing "river helper" who is not a guide and not affiliated with SRC.
I politely ask that if you are in that vicinity and see us in the private or on the open water of LJR, that you hold your opinions of SRC and D.B. to yourself during this event. It will go a long way with these ladies and this organization to promote our sport.
Thanks in advance

http://castingforrecovery.org/

http://castingforrecovery.org/wordpress/?page_id=2352

Gutcutter, thanks for letting us know. The Casting For Recovery is a good program and if DB is helping them, he gets proper credit for the good deed. Let's not let this affiliation detract from this thread or the efforts of others holding the event. Good luck. If some of these ladies want to make FFing a hobby, you should encourage them to sign up here,make some FF friends, attend a Jam or mini-Jam or just get help learning more about the sport. I am pretty sure there are dozens of folks on here that would lend a hand. I think several years ago, one of the original participants/moderators, Padraic, got a number of folks to tie up flies for one of their events in the Poconos (Skytop?).

Good cause and best of luck with the event.

Of course we have a fine Beginner's Forum should any of the participants find they wish to pursue the hobby further.

Big fan of CFR and thank you all for your work. I know everyone here will do the best they can to support and respect the efforts for the event.

Again, thank you.

The event went off without a hitch. The ladies got to experience fishing in the rain! We fished the LJR about a mile downstream from the confluence of Spruce Creek.
Nobody came down through.
I gave a nice plug for PAFF at the conclusion and encouraged them to sign up. Hopefully we will see some newbies on the beginer forum.
There was a very nice trico hatch, some SD, microcaddis and craneflies and many rising fish. I swear that I saw a light cahill, too. Water was 63 degrees at 0720.
Unfortunately the ladies couldn't see the dry flies well enough nor drift them drag free long enough to get any. A few got them on WBuggers and BHs. My gal had one smack a #12 SD and screamed!

I hope you told the ladies to stay out of the OT Jam forum for a while anyway until they realize that we aren't all pigs. Seriously, though, I hope that more than a few walked away wanting to FF more and that they will join us here and let us help, if we can, to accelerate the learning process.

Back