Casselman River at the PA MA border.

S

somersetian

I live under a rock and think of myself as too broke and too dumb to care about politics but a friend of mine just said due to Trumps lifting of certain restrictions, some sort "mine waste" is now allowed to be dumped within range of the casselman river. From what he told me its pretty much dumping the unwanted stuff from the mine right on the river bank. Anyone heard of anything like this?

Yes, I have heard of and have actually been around misinformed people before.

Ask him the location. Then if you live close by, just go and look.

Or look at satellite photos of the site on Acmemapper.com.

There has been issues with the cassleman for decades. In fact if you walk the trail on the middle yough(below the confluence with the cassleman) they have a display that talks about the spill in the cassleman that wiped out alot of wildlife. It details the spill and the recovery. I believe that really bad spill was in the seventies but the cassleman continues get alot of chemical runoff, it's nothing new......unfortunately. Contrary to popular belief you can't just dump waste into a river now, legally that is.

1fish wrote:
Yes, I have heard of and have actually been around misinformed people before.

I had to read that twice, love it.

Ryan I'm aware of the problems with the casselman in the past. I usually fish it at Fort Hill, Markleton and rockwood. The numbers of smallmouth bass sometimes seem unreal. Big ones are usually far between but I always catch fish when I fish there. Seems like the stream has come back pretty good. It would be a shame if a Permit was issued to a mining company to dump a certain percentage of mine waste in it.

The agricultural runoff continues to pollute the cassleman with nitrogen rich chemicals now. I haven't heard anything about mine waste and I doubt it is true, but who knows. My point is that the pollution happening in the past and currently is the real deal

Acid Mine Drainage has been a problem on the Casselman for decades.

tomgamber wrote:
Acid Mine Drainage has been a problem on the Casselman for decades.

Yes, what I meant was that I doubt a mining company will be permitted to dump waste directly into the river as described in the op.

Mine and AG drainage aside...one thing that is still going good for the Casselman is the mothers day caddis hatch. Another... The Casselman Inn is a VERY affordable motel for anglers desiring to fish the Casselman, Savage, N. Branch Potomac, and surrounding brookie streams.

Back