Carping for the 1st time

Cougarbaby

Cougarbaby

I’m. Newer guy here and am planning on going to where Deer creek meets the Allegheny river in Harmarville north of Pittsburgh and try carpin with the fly rods my plan was to throw one out with bait on with the drag on the reel basically set on free spin and secured so it won’t take off should something bite and then work the other with possibly some different color crayfish patterns and some small chartreuse wooly buggers and see what happens, anyone ever fish there or could help it would be appreciated thank you ,Cougar

Cougarbaby,

That is my backyard. Chum, Chum, Chum. I used to fish with a homeless guy on the Northside, and his rig was pretty much what you described. He would use corn with a bit of vanilla extract, chum an area, wait about 30 minutes, and then fish.

I prefer Yinzer Flats where Pine Creek flows into the Allegheny. You can wade out quite a distance, but be cautious—the mud can get you. I'd recommend bringing a flotation device if you plan to wade. The area by Lock 3 also offers good fishing. Bring a rope fly for the occasional gar, as it's the only way to catch them. If you really want to catch carp , get a kayak and paddle over to the Gateway Clipper docks at Station Square and use a bread fly.

Back around 2000, I was catching carp and listening to the Foo Fighters play at the IC Light Amphitheater.

I was thinking about chumming with corn and having 1 rigged with corn while I mess around with the crayfish imitation and Woolley buggers was even thinking about soaking my flys in the corn water ha ha I’ll be there tomorrow morning if you want to stop I’ll probably be be only one with flyrods so I’ll probably be easy to spot ,it’s just a staying usy trip waiting for next week when we’re going night mousing for big brownies up near johnsonburg on the clarion

The hole behind the Burger King on Rt 8 is also a good spot. Night Mousing on The Clarion sounds fun.

I was at Burger King yesterday looking at the guys fishing pine creek there , fishing fir brownies up there is a blast and addictive I haven’t caught a trout under 18 inches in a long time since I’ve learned that place and am looking for a partner of your interested I’m tired of driving there by myself I fish clarion and East branch up there quite often

Didn’t carp fish went and played in the dark

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 31
This is why I fish this place however it takes awhile to learn

Attachments

• IMG_1162.png
    IMG_1162.png
    415.8 KB · Views: 50
Back