Carp pattern

dc410

dc410

I am always on the look out for different carp patterns to tie and try out. I found a you tube video the other day on this carp fly. The fellow making the video called it the Silt Sifter. I changed a few things mainly due to the materials I had available to tie it and to add a bit more flash. I cranked out a couple and I really like the look of them. I think they should be a real carp buster! Here is the materials list that I used:

Hook - #8 2XL nymph hook
Thread - brown 6/0
Tail - Pheasant marabou w/ black krystal flash on both sides
Legs - orange/black sililegs (2 on each side of tail)
Body - tyers choice on color of dubbing (I mixed hare's ear and rust)
Hackle - Brown hen saddle hackle (long fibers)
Collar - another brown hen saddle tied dense right behind eyes
Weight - black bead chain eyes (tied Clouser style)
Head - pink shrimp UV ice dub to fill in around bead chain eyes

Trim the hackle flat on the bottom so that the fly rides very low and skates through the silt where the carp hang out.

Attachments

• Silt Sifter 1.jpg
    Silt Sifter 1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 8
Very nice.

Nice John, Be lookin for a report on those. Was tight lining one of those streamers you gave me. I hooked a very heavy fish with the green streamer, lost it. Then hooked two more, lost them too. Then I proceeded to loose it on the bottom, too deep to wade to get it. :-( That was all under 20min. ( lost a lot of stuff in 20min huh?)Was hoping to have pics, but I got no cooperation from the fish at all.

Looks like you're putting your leftover cicada legs to good use ;-)

Yes, good bump! These patterns, i feel, just scream life or movement. Very nice tie DC, looking into getting some materials for flies like this to use for some carpin this year.

John, nice carp fly for sure. In a lighter color that would make a killer bonefish fly as well.

GenCon

Thanks Tyger and GenCon. Yeah, it is a great carpy pattern. This pattern by far produced the most carp hook ups for me this year.

DC, I will have to try some carpin next spring. We have lots of the around here. Some real big ones too. It looks like alot of fun. The flys look fun as well.

GenCon

Thank ya sir! Feeling that one...will be tying some soon.

Back