Carp All Night

Bruno

Bruno

You can't fry art
Reelly, what is it?

"Art, no carp" is how organizers describe their seventh annual "Carp All Night" event this Saturday in Lawrenceville. While groups crawl the nearby Catalyst Building during "Art All Night," a collection of nocturnal neighbors trawl the river for future fish tales.

Organizer Sean Brady, Assistant Executive Director of Venture Outdoors, has seen as many as 150 folks throughout the night; a motley crew of preppies, hippies, hipsters, grannies, professionals and misanthropes. Their common ground is the water.

"Pat Clark and I put the first event together on a rainy spring night in 2002," said Brady. "I've never had any intention of staying up all night, but each year, there I am watching the sun come up over the Allegheny River with a collection of folks whose outdoor gear ranges from leather pants to flannel shirts to Goretex."

There are typically around 30 carpers at any given time, said Brady. Last year, they grilled a steelhead trout, which he expects will be repeated this year.

"Generally though it's BYO refreshments," said Brady. "We provide the fishing gear, the river provides the ambiance, and the common carp provides the hub."

When: Sat., April 28, Dust 'til Dawn

Where: On the concrete beach down at the end of 43rd Street. Take Butler Street, North on 43rd, over the tracks, stop just before you end up in the river.

nice!

I bet that you meet some very interesting individguals.

It is a freak show for sure. I'll be there bumming a pabst for the hipsters.

I remember fishing on the Allegheny warf below the now Roberto Clemente bridge with my uncle and brother and several local carpers. I was 12 or so. We were the odd balls on the block. I lost my Zebco 33 over the guard rail to a 23" carp. I know this because a half hour later while sitting dejected like I wrecked the car, lookng a this baby duck lure with three huge trrbles on it....wondering what the hell you could ever catch on that?.....the fellow next to us starts reeling in furiously and brings in my rod...and then the fish. Biggest carp I ever saw.

I approached him and said, He mister, thats my rod....He said, 'you can have the rod kid....but we'sa haivin' cop tanaih!"

I will never forget that night....thanks for the memory Bruno.

Maurice

Maurice:

I lost half a fly line to a carp in almost the same spot last summer. Stepped on the line and the line broke as I was fighting Mr Carp.

One of my former seasonal biologists lost his entire Orvis to a carp. Never place your Orvis on the bank and look away if you are using corn for carp bait.

In case you are not aware, carp fishing is growing in popularity in Pa. I am now receiving phone calls from anglers on the topic like I never have before.

Back