Carlisle CVTU Casting Competition

• Thread starter Heritage-Angler
  • Start date
Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

The casting competition at the Carlisle Sports and Outdoor Show was held today.

This event was sponsored by CVTU and Bass Pro Shops. It consisited of two parts - an accuracy casting portion, and a distance/accuracy portion.

PAFF had two of it's members competing in this event - Tim Robinson and Old Lefty. Tim was entered in the amatuer division, and Old Lefty was in the pro division.

During the pre-event practice session, it became obvious that the swirling winds were going to play a factor. Tough casting, for sure. Whoever managed to overcome the conditions best was likely to win.

Tim Robinson was the first competitor to start - each caster had to do the accuracy section, and then move on to the distance section.

Tim was very low key and relaxed - he didn't think he'd do well, and wished he'd practiced more. He calmly posted the highest score on the accuracy section (three way tie) - out of both amatuers and pros!

Tim won his division, and had the second highest score overall.

Great casting, Tim, and congratulations!

Attachments

• Tim 2.jpg
    Tim 2.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Tim 1.jpg
    Tim 1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 5
  • PAFF Casters.jpg
    PAFF Casters.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 4
That's the Tim I know. Cool calm and collective. Good work man!

well done !

what weight were they casting = 5 ?

Thanks guys, I learned so much today!

Well done TR!

Nice meeting you today Tim. That was some good casting in difficult conditions. In case you are wondering. I was the tall ugly guy with the pretty and short wife.

Steno - Black Shirt?

I have to say this. This site has been fantastic to me in so may ways. From the start of me getting into FF the good people on this site have been supportive and helpful. Most recently we had a meet where Old Lefty showed me the ropes and we really had a great time.

I am very grateful for this site and the supportive fly fishing community in PA. It has given me a lot more enjoyment from this sport. I look forward to helping our community grow and celebrate our rich heritage we have in this state.

Old Lefty - I owe you. I would have had no idea what to do if we didn't meet before the comp. Thank you for taking your time to do that! You're a great caster but I think you are an even better teacher! Thank you.

If you guys ever want to get together and set up a course I would be interested. It's fun to play around on and learn about techniques.

If only he could learn to swing flies instead of lining fish...

Congrats Tim!

Very cool... congrats!

Well done! Congradations!

That's really cool! Congratulations Tim. Sounds like an all around great experience.

Way to go TR!

Way to go!

Congrats Tim!

Congrats on the win!

Back