Carl Hiasson sp?

osprey

osprey

Just Read "Double Whammy" Carl's book about tournament bass fishing , also read "Stormy Weather" Hey Pete....is he all about Florida or what? I like the Character "Skink"

Hiassen is one of the funniest crime novelists out there and has a pile of books. He's also a pretty ardent advocate for Florida's wild places.
Find or Google his short essay book on Disney/Disneyworld and what it did to FL.

He's hilarious. Some of his earlier books feature a character who used to be Gov. of FL, but now lives homeless under bridges and scrapes hallucinogenic toads and smokes the scrapings.. Also a hitman who had an arm amputated so he could mount a weed eater in it's place to help him in his work.

Hiassen came out of the newsroom of the Miami Herald which must have been one pretty potent place for writers at one time. At one time, he, Edna Buchanan, Dave Barry and John Katzenbach all worked there together. Fine novelists/writers, all.

RLeep2 the character "Skink" is the guy who was the ex-gov , the wild places in Florida is where he lives now , eatin roadkill and smokin toad , the characters , well some of them , run through book after book , kind of a neat style , maybe more like screenplay than novel.

Try reading "Sick Puppy" great book and I'm not even a big reader.

some parts of Florida may have weird-Os but the fact is away from the city churches out number bars about 20 to 1.lol
we good people-just ask us.

pete..........I wasn't trying to say you all were weirdo's , i was trying to point out that there are still alot of wild places in Fla. unexploited ones , the charachter in Hiasons books "Skink" (he was an ex-governer that dropped out of society , lives off the land , in the parts of Fla. that are still undeveloped and wild) maybe in some folks eyes that makes him a weirdo , but in my eyes that makes him a hero , a character/person to be admired. (he has an eye missing from a gunshot wound so i guess i relate in that way......LOL)

just kidding-lot of strange people here-

osprey,
I first read that book I bet 15 years ago. It was a bit macabre -- the whole pit bull thing -- but I do like it. It kind of had a Fargo feel to it.
Some dark humor, definitely. I'm still waiting for the movie.

Back