Cargo Box Car topper

Bruno

Bruno

I am in the market for a Car top cargo box. I really have no experience with them. Researching them shows that they are pretty expensive. Sweden’s Thule and Washington’s Yakima seem to be the major players in this market. Does anyone have experience with these brands or have opinions of more reasonable alternatives?

I am not looking for cheap but rather value.

Thanks !

My buddy uses a Thule box on the roof of his 4Runner we use for fishing and camping. I forget which model it is exactly, but its well built and does the job with no issue. Ive used both Thule and Yakima roof racks on vehicles before. Their reputation represents their products pretty well.

On my Tacoma, I have a Rhino Rack I use to haul my canoe. Its a quality piece that costs a little less than Thule/Yakima. Im not sure if they make boxes but it my be worth exploring.

From time to time, Ill see Thule or Yakima boxes go up for sale om Craigslist for a good deal. Definitely worth exploring 2nd hand options.

The Thule boxes are designed to aerodynamic so they can be not as deep (tall) as other options.

Two suggestions:

1. Lay out the gear you intend to put into the box (and then some) and take measurements to make sure you buy a box big enough for your needs.

2. Pay close attention to where locking devices are located on the boxes you are considering and figure out how easy or difficult it will be to get into it.

Tall vehicles like SUV's can make getting into a rooftop box a pain in a$$. If that is your situation, look into a decent lightweight ladder or other option.

Trust me you will be glad you did!

Stay with Thule or Yakima, most other brands have major problems with rust dripping onto the roof of your car. So while others do the same function, with the same ease, they just aren't as well designed to avoid ruining the the top of your car.

I have a Large Thule box for my Jeep Cherokee. I love it. It is easy to hook up to the roof racks and holds a lot of gear. Just don't overload it with too much weight. I generally use it for camping trips and put all tents, sleeping bags, life vests, etc. in there. All the light stuff that has a lot of bulk.

I stick to Thule products over Yakima. I had a bad experience with my Yakima kayak racks. I will never buy their stuff again.

I have Sport Rack box which has held up for many years. I believe it is made by Thule... about $250 shipped to my local Wally World.

Thanks for the insight - Yakima sky box 16 was the winner

Back