Carbon County?

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

Next week I'll be around Jim Thorpe and might have a few hours to sneak off. I've never fished there and the people I'll be seeing probably won't be much help. Checking the PFBC web site I think I want to check out Jeans Run and Stony Creek. Both seem worthwhile but hopefully some people can confirm that? I'd hate to waste the little time I have.

If there is anything obvious I am missing suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

I would also consider the Lehigh if the flows are less than 500 cfs out of FEW. It should start heating up as the water temp's rise. Typically this time of year streamers work best.

It’s funny that these two streams are mentioned in the same post, because they are #1 and #2 in terms of the most rugged, gnarly streams I have fished in PA. They’re steep, rough, remote, and just big enough that coupled with the gradient that they can be tricky to get across in spots in higher flows. Their water is tannic in color making it difficult to see the bottom even when the water’s “clear,” and they’re both in an area that is well known for having legitimate Rattlesnake and Black Bear populations. I’ve fished them, and would fish them again, but in all seriousness I would not fish either of these two alone, especially for the first time. If something were to happen to you in either of them it’s a nearly impossible trek out sideways…check out the topo map. It’s either walk up toward the headwaters or walk down to the mouth which isn’t necessarily easy either. Realistically, neither one of them can really be successfully done in a few hour, sneak away, type of outing. They are a whole day commitment type of deal.

I took a spill and submerged my waders on Stony on a 40 degree day with 40 degree water once, a couple miles from the vehicles. I had a partner with me, and other than being wet and cold I was ok, but if I was alone and snapped an ankle, I woulda been in big trouble. Funny side story about that day…we got back to the vehicles around dusk and drove home…the next morning my old beater Explorer did not start. Imagine if I got back to the truck at dusk, wet and cold in near freezing temps (still a couple miles from the main road mind you) and it didn’t start…that woulda been a problem.

Worth noting I guess, I am being 100% serious with this post and not necessarily trying to deter anyone from fishing them. Just do it smart. There’s only a handful of streams in PA I feel this way about, but these are two of them.

Mauch Chunk Creek is stocked and just west of Jim Thorpe.

a bunch of streams are stocked up by hickoryrun state park, which is fairly close to jim thorpe.

Stony is literally a stones throw from my house but the good water on stony is a heck of a hike to access, There is really only one place to park and the trail from there is confusing because it splits off a few times. Like swattie said, it's rough hiking, steep gradient and impossible to fish in places because of the rhododendrons. If you still want info, PM and I can tell you anything you need to know.

I think you guys just rained on my parade. Honestly a few years ago I would have ignored Swatties well thought out post and went alone anyway. It really does sound like there is a lot that can go wrong and it's not a risk that is worth taking.

I've been fishing a stocked stream since opening day and getting into a few native/wild fish. Just not in the numbers I'd like. I just want to fish some new water and maybe find some brookies. Maybe I'll recheck maps and lists and see if I can't find something else in that area. Thanks again for the info.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to dissuade you, just making sure you're aware what you're getting into with those two. Odds are you'd probably be fine, but a problem in places like that can become a legit emergency real quick. Good streams to fish with a buddy is all.

It's funny, but as I get older, fishing these types of streams with someone else makes more sense than ever. There are only a few streams I've felt a little "uneasy" on by myself and they have all been in Carbon County. Perhaps it's the known bear population or remoteness of them, but if something were to happen, there is no cell signal and if no one knows you're there...

Good points all the way around by Swattie. Fishing should be fun, not fatal!

Came across this thread 9 years later after a quick search. I’ve fished Jeans Run a handful of times and wanted to give Stony a try. Did it a couple days ago and was wondering if there is a trail, or a better option than following down the power lines? There were times we were scaling a 60 degree gradient. Hope those on here are still active and see this!

Came across this thread 9 years later after a quick search. I’ve fished Jeans Run a handful of times and wanted to give Stony a try. Did it a couple days ago and was wondering if there is a trail, or a better option than following down the power lines? There were times we were scaling a 60 degree gradient. Hope those on here are still active and see this!
Park on Drakes Creek Rd and walk up the railroad tracks

Park on Drakes Creek Rd and walk up the railroad tracks
You need to be careful where/how you park on Drakes Creek Rd, with the float/rafting season getting under way. It's possible to get blocked in if you park at the bottom where the road ends. Also, keep in mind, because of it's narrowness, there's pretty much only room for one vehicle at a time to travel that road. It would be very tough backing up to let one of those rafting buses get by. It's best to get there very early to avoid them. Good luck, that stream is worth the effort if conditions are right.

You need to be careful where/how you park on Drakes Creek Rd, with the float/rafting season getting under way. It's possible to get blocked in if you park at the bottom where the road ends. Also, keep in mind, because of it's narrowness, there's pretty much only room for one vehicle at a time to travel that road. It would be very tough backing up to let one of those rafting buses get by. It's best to get there very early to avoid them. Good luck, that stream is worth the effort if conditions are right.
as long as you don't park at the very end you're fine. There's a few small pulloffs where you can park without interfering with the buses.

as long as you don't park at the very end you're fine. There's a few small pulloffs where you can park without interfering with the buses.
Right. That one spot near the bottom, just before the dead end is where I prefer to park. There's a little stone wall there.

Back