Carbon county fishing ?

ratgunner

ratgunner

Hello. Anyone here fish there ? I'm heading up to Lake Harmony. Looking for some good streams to fish. It's a family getaway but me and the lady are gonna sneak in some flyrodding. I've never been there so any advice is helpful. Thanks

ratgunner wrote:
Hello. Anyone here fish there ? I'm heading up to Lake Harmony. Looking for some good streams to fish. It's a family getaway but me and the lady are gonna sneak in some flyrodding. I've never been there so any advice is helpful. Thanks

Can't really go wrong with fishing in and around Hickory Run State Park. You can fish for wild trout in Hickory Run Creek, Hayes/Black Creek, as well as stocked and wild trout in Mud Run, or even fish the Lehigh River in the White Haven / Lehigh Tannery area.

Here is a map of the Park and surrounding area:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_004632.pdf

I suggest you stop in the Evening Hatch or A&A Outfitters fly shops for conditions and hatch info.

Have a great time.

Thank you. Looks like a good area for fishing.

I'd suggest you check the USGS map to see the water levels/rates where you want to fish, many streams are still very high, fast, and cold.

Streams we drove by looked good. I seen a fly shop called the Drake and Evening Hatch or some such. I'll stop in later and see what info I can get.

Fishing should be very good in Carbon County this weekend. The streams drop pretty fast because the gradient is high, but you may want to avoid Mud Run, it's the biggest of the bunch mentioned and would probably be the highest, and definitely the most dangerous in high conditions.

Chaz wrote:
you may want to avoid Mud Run, it's the biggest of the bunch mentioned and would probably be the highest, and definitely the most dangerous in high conditions.

+1. To the OP - The bottom end of Black/Hayes isn't much smaller than Mud, and is every bit as rough. Just a heads up.

Regarding cool water temps, on these and other forested freestone streams in PA this weekend.

Fish in the afternoon when the water temps have come up some. You can "conserve energy" in the morning. Then fish like a fiend in the afternoon, because that is when the fishing will be best.

Darn we were planning on Mud Run tomorrow. It rained a good bit today too.

ratgunner wrote:
Darn we were planning on Mud Run tomorrow. It rained a good bit today too.

Hey RG,

There's no gauge on Mud Run or any of the streams in HRSP, but I checked the Toby, Tunkhannock and Lehigh above the dam. All are a little above normal flow but really in good shape for fishing.

Check with the Evening Hatch shop, but if it were me, I'd be out there fishin'. Make sure you stay safe and make sure you have fun. Good luck.

Would it be worth it to fish in Hickory Run State Park this weekend, 6/14. I've had some bad luck with the weather my last few visits and I'm not sure how heavy the rain has been in the area.

Thanks everyone

Mike

Hard to say. I am looking at the gages for the Brodhead and the Bushkill and they are at the edge of fishability IMHO and are still going up. If the rains stop and they start going down it will be OK; if they go up more maybe not. The littler tribs will get back to normal quicker. The weather should be fine Saturday, but the effect of todays rain is still up in the air IMHO.

Thanks for the reply.

I actually got in contact with Evening Hatch and they said it'll be mostly blown out this weekend.

Beautiful store that place.

Back