Carbon County, 3 different streams

J

JasonC

Bear with me as this is all brand new to me and will surely suck. Had the rare day off which left me enough time to explore a few streams. I ended up fishing parts of Mud Run, Hickory Run and Fawn Run. All three are beautiful and looked almost exactly as how I pictured them to look. This was my first time fly fishing for brook trout, actually my first time fishing for brook trout period. As everyone knows by now, I have a background in spin fishing. So to feel more confident, especially in new and wild waters I’m not familiar with, I chose a Wooly Bugger to stay subsurface. I tied on brown, olive and black at certain points. My casting sucks, my hooksets suck, my technique sucks but everything can get better with practice. I landed a total of 4 brook trout and 2 brown trout. The browns all came from Hickory. I can now see with first-hand experience why fly fishing is so addictive. I had a blast and now have even more of a yearning to get out there and get better. I don’t know if the water was high or low for each stream as I have no prior experience to compare them to. They were clear though, nice and cold and just an absolute pleasure to be out there. Sorry but no pics as I was so preoccupied with handling the fish as properly and quickly as possible as to not cause any added stress to them. This is all thanks to all the members who steered me to how/where to find good waters. So thank you for making me a lifetime fly fishermen! Now all I need is more time off.

Good to hear you finally got out to do some exploring and had some success.

I'm going to move this thread to Beginner's Forum shortly.

Sounds good, my mistake if I classified incorrectly. Thank you as well!

Very nice! Nothing motivates like success. Keep the ball rolling.

Next time your up this way, give me a shout. I live within 5 minutes from the streams you fished and am always looking for company out on the water.

JasonC - throw me a PM next time you want to go to the Poconos and we can carpool up from Philly. Always looking for fishing buddies and happy to show you the ropes as best as I can.

Back