Car ceiling rod tube rack..

sundrunk

sundrunk

I'm trying to devise the best way to get my rod tubes on the ceiling of my jeep..Google wasn't much help..I thought about creating a rack out of pvc, Not sure of the best way to adhere it to the ceiling of my jeep though..

Solutions?

Neil,

I've been thinking of PVC tubing. I have a roll cage in my rig though, so I have plenty of options to attach it.

What about getting some adjustable straps and hooks and running them between the two door frames?

My friend has basically the same rig as you, and he got a rod rack for the inside. I'll ask him where he got it... or you can just ask him over a few beers sunday night at the jam.

There is a purpose made system out there, but I don't know what its called. I believe Cabela's carries it.

I'd love one if it could keep a fully rigged 8.5' along the top of my car, but its just not long enough inside.

Edit: This isn't the one I was thinking of, but its definatly cheaper.

Edit2: This one is, though.

I have a 2-door blazer and my 9' fits in fully rigged up.

There are a few systems for ceiling racks. They can get quite expensive.

Those are nice but I was trying to mount the rod tubs, not the assembled rods...

Velcro?

Although, the constant pulling may loosen the head liner and make it sag.

My rod tubes used to fit right up under my back seats to the gate. Maybe you should build a riser and store them under rather than put them up on the ceiling.

here something similar to what I'm thinking of.

The second one is a 4Runner and is pretty cool.

Attachments

• roller_drawer1.gif
    roller_drawer1.gif
    132.1 KB · Views: 5
  • sleepingplatform7xm.jpg
    sleepingplatform7xm.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3
http://www.leer.com/Accessories

Check out the overhead cargo net. I had a friend with this jerry rigged into his Subaru ceiling. The rods just weave in & out of the mesh. Easy fix.

in my van, I used 1/2 inch copper pipe, bending and flattening the ends to fit into a seam between the headliner and the trim, then I put foam pipe insulation over the copper, then use bungee things that were for attaching tarps, I simply put the rod tube on top of the pipe and use the bungee thing to hold them in place. velcro straps work too. I can also put assembled rods with reels in on the racks.
I like the fact they are up against the ceiling, out of harms way, and also mostly out of sight to folks passing by.
cheap too!!

Attachments

• IMG_2618.JPG
    IMG_2618.JPG
    703.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2619.JPG
    IMG_2619.JPG
    695.4 KB · Views: 4
biker- see you have both.

Spin rods and lawn chairs. heheheh

spinning rods aren't mine, lawn chairs are though! makes changing in and out of waders much easier, and makes that after fishing beer taste better as well!

i have the one from the foremost outfitter it was 30$ holds 7 rods and was simple to put in but it will not hold your rod tubeshere it is and i really like it

ps

if i had a van it would look like bikers probably more stuff though im glad i cant fit lawn chairs in my jeep

yeah yeah, you guys don't believe me!! they DO belong to a friend of mine!! besides, those spinning rods are way to new for me to own, I have an old wonderrod spinning/fly combo that gets used once in a blue moon.

2 clothes hangers for autos and one berkly rod holder. 9 foot rods and tubes all fit.
nice to see another vanner Bikerfish...

Attachments

• DSCN0727a.jpg
    DSCN0727a.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 5
hey bikerfish, ya ever think of makin the lights red..works for keepin your eyes adjusted in the dark. subs use them. I have all my work lights red.

never thought of it, might give it a try! I have a 100 watt driving light attached to the ceiling for de-rigging at night, lights up everything like the sun!

Back