Can't make this stuff up.

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

I left my stream thermometer sitting in the creek yesterday. Not that unusual for me. Anyway, today I go to the Orvis store in Haverford to buy a new one, and they didn't have one! I always thought a stream thermometer was a fairy basic accessory, no? I ended up going to the TCO in Bryn Mawr and bought one. Also, briefly shot the breeze with Lenny. Good guy!

I left my stream thermometer sitting in the creek yesterday. Not that unusual for me. Anyway, today I go to the Orvis store in Haverford to buy a new one, and they didn't have one! I always thought a stream thermometer was a fairy basic accessory, no? I ended up going to the TCO in Bryn Mawr and bought one. Also, briefly shot the breeze with Lenny. Good guy!
I’ve stopped expecting to be able to buy anything FF-ing related at brick and mortar establishments anymore. If it’s even remotely useful, most places are out of stock. Can only waste my 4$/gallon gas driving to TCO or the other local shops so many times before I just decide to order it online by first intent. Blame an industry that simply can’t keep up with demand.

Some of the fly shops are like Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard.
Sometimes I get lucky tho. Fortunately don't need much in the way of FFing stuff anymore and actually looking to downsize a bit.

BTW any old thermometer will work, doesn't have to be from a FFing store.

BTW any old thermometer will work, doesn't have to be from a FFing store.
This is true, but stream thermometers have the protective casing around them that one's for home use don't. I feel lost without one, since I use them on every stream.

Last edited:
This is true, but stream thermometers have the protective casing around them that one's for home use don't. I feel lost without one, since I use them on every stream.
i knew a guy who laced in a thermometer into his wading boots laces. not sure if his feet affected the temp. but i would assume not once the boots got wet.

I get trying to support fly shops, and when I’m on a multi-day trip away from home and I need something I do stop in and buy stuff, and am happy and fine paying a little extra. But for something like this, the evil Amazon is your friend. Easy, cheap, brainless, and delivered in 48 hours or less. Is what it is.

i knew a guy who laced in a thermometer into his wading boots laces. not sure if his feet affected the temp. but i would assume not once the boots got wet.
I can't even see what brand my shoes are, God help me if I had to read a thermometer attached to them.

I, too, like having a thermometer. Sometimes the results of what it says are stunning for the good and the bad.

They do make some pretty cheap wine thermometers that take the temp instantly with a digital readout to the 1/10th of a degree. Pretty insanely accurate and precise too.

Hardware stores have cheap dial thermometers that have a sharp spike like kitchen meat thermometers. Keep them in the plastic tube to not spike yo'seff. Harbor Freight has them for a few bucks. However, look over a selection because them are not that accurate. Too bad there's no way to adjust them. Calibrate it by checking in ice/water. Pretty much unbreakable.

If you’re at the point where you need to carry a thermometer to determine if it’s safe to fish for trout just go smallmouth fishing instead.

I used a Fluke infrared thermometer in Montana. It‘s too big to carry on the stream, but I took it with me in my boat when I was interested in getting a quick readout on the river water temperatures throughout the day. I often also used it to get the water temperature off the bank from where we stayed on the Yellowstone.

One thing that I noticed using the Fluke (which gives the water surface temperature) was how much the water temperature varied at different places across the width of a river. It could sometimes vary 5-10°. I’m talking relatively wide, shallow rivers with faster moving water, like the Madison or Yellowstone, as opposed to small streams.

It would be interesting to take water temperatures across the width of a stream like Penns Creek, for example, to see how much the temperature varies. I assume there can often be more variations in temperature across the width of a stream like Penns (relatively wide, say 100’ more or less, and shallow, often less than 6’ or so, with faster moving current, due to tributaries, springs, etc. bringing water into it) than the water temperature varies from top to bottom in any one place, but I don’t know this for sure.)

I also have a vintage Hardy Stream thermometer that I still carry with me from time to time. Very nice, but pretty pricey to buy a used one these days, if you can find one.

If you’re at the point where you need to carry a thermometer to determine if it’s safe to fish for trout just go smallmouth fishing instead.
I don't use a thermometer to determine if it's safe to fish, or not. I use it to tell me how the fishing will be based on the stream temp. Too cold and the fishing usually sucks. I have yet to fish a mountain freestone stream that was above 62F, ever in my life.

I don't use a thermometer to determine if it's safe to fish, or not. I use it to tell me how the fishing will be based on the stream temp. Too cold and the fishing usually sucks. I have yet to fish a mountain freestone stream that was above 62F, ever in my life.
There’s plenty of instances where having a thermometer is useful, even fishing for smallmouth. To not carry one is at best short sighted

I agree. A thermometer is a very useful and informative tool. I also have tried many different thermometers and I think the best ones are the fishing specific thermometers. They fit in my packs/vest the best and they aren't fragile.

I have tried kitchen thermometers. I will pass on those. Also, digital Infared thermometers are not accurate at taking the temperature of water/liquids, so those are also out.

I find it interesting in July or August when I lay down my thermometer along the bank in one of the streams near me. Then I fish the hole above it, I come back and it says 48 degrees. Obviously I laid it right where a spring comes out.

About 10 years ago I experimented with 3-4 different thermometers. One was infrared where you point it at the water surface and the rest were the typical fishing thermometer. None of them ever seemed to agree. The infrared one only got a surface temp about 2/3 of the time. Some varied by 4-5 degrees (those ones were made in China). Dilemma, Which one should I trust?

I have also experimented at a USGS thermometer location on Tionesta creek. I found my hand held (the one I believed was my most accurate) was 3-4 degrees off what USGS was posting as their stream temp. I sent them a message but I never heard back. I imagine USGS is more accurate than me but if their thermometer is in direct sunlight would it artificially trend upward?

I hope you all also don't make the mistake of laying the thermometer on the stream bottom because that is also not the accurate reading of the water. The bottom, especially if rock and in the sunlight, is actually much warmer than the water.

Back