Can't find waders that fit! Help!!

P

PATroutMan

I have have been searching and trying on multiple pairs of waders and can't seem to find any that fit just right. Sometimes the booties will be way too small and sometimes they will be too long in the inseam or too big in the chest. If anyone has had this problem or can give some help on finding a pair that works please let me know!!!

Check Simms' site. Look at their size chart. The more "tailored" sizes are in the G3's and up. I would assume Patagonia is the same. The cheaper waders are usually "universal" fit.

Simms also has a custom shop.

I agree on the Simms. I know they are pricey but I got a pair of G3's last season and as soon as I put them on, they were perfect. For me (6 foot one with a 32" inseam and size 12 foot) the XL size was right on. The extra length in the wader inseam passed the "lifting foot up to chair" test without getting tight anywhere.

Good luck in your search!

Waders are definitely hit or miss. Manufacturers strive for that "universal" fit, but often miss the mark, because there is not necessarily a strong correlation between the height, weight and shoe size of an individual. And sometimes, they really screw up, and they have "manufacturing sizing issues", which is what one vendor told me, when I could practically climb inside a single pant leg of a pair of waders I had purchased. I'm a tall, thin guy, so I need long legs, size 11 booties, but probably what amounts to a small waist belt. I'm usually swimming in a large (sometimes literally, but usually figuratively), but mediums are too short in the legs and the booties are too tight. Some of the vendors sell a medium-long (or equivalent), to try and accommodate a few more variables about a person's body size.

Ultimately, I switched to wearing wading pants a number of years ago. The one pair of Patagonia chest waders I own, I wear as wading pants 85% of the time. This reduces the fit issues somewhat, but does not totally eliminate them.

And ultimately, ultimately, I find that all my waders leak, whether they fit or not :)

Gibsygoldtop. We are the exact same size. -well height, inseam and foot. I had two pairs of XL G3s and they were too baggy. This caused unusual wear between my legs around the crotch. And, just the feeling of ill fit. My latest pair are large long (12-13) and they are the perfect length and fit. There is less wear between the legs and they are more comfortable. Next time give them a try.
Based on my own girth, you can be a 40 waist and still layer winter wear inside the waders. Probably if you are a 42, LL would be ok without a jacket and sweatshirt.

Look at Dan Bailey Waders

Attachments

• dan bailey.JPG
    dan bailey.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 7
I don't get it at all but also be aware MANY waders and especially stocking foot hippers are EXTREMELY narrow in the calf area for some reason.

I'll chalk it up to saving a few cents on fabric or the hipsters because the fit difference is noticeable in later versions of the same product.

As someone who has large calfs from years in the weight room, I can BARELY get into a pair of Chota Hippies and Dan Bailey's don't fit me at all because going up a size only means a sloppier fit in the thigh and a bootee that is too big.

nymphingmaniac: Thanks! I'm not seeing any of that wear that you had mentioned but I will definitely check out the LL next time I am in the market.

by Bamboozle on 2018/2/9 10:38:41 I don't get it at all but also be aware MANY waders and especially stocking foot hippers are EXTREMELY narrow in the calf area for some reason. I'll chalk it up to saving a few cents on fabric or the hipsters because the fit difference is noticeable in later versions of the same product. As someone who has large calfs from years in the weight room, I can BARELY get into a pair of Chota Hippies and Dan Bailey's don't fit me at all because going up a size only means a sloppier fit in the thigh and a bootee that is too big.

Same here.

I ended up finding a pair that fit like a glove at bass pro. They are a newer company called compass 360. I got the deadfall z model. Anyone know anything about this company?

Back