Can't cast the distance?

jayL

jayL

I ran across this video today. It's a creative approach to a common problem. I'll be remembering this on my next few outings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDezr-DFmII

I've done that may times although I didn't always turn my whole body inland. I usually just did it by not looking toward the water till the last stroke. I do find myself doing this up and down the creek when there is an overhang on the back cast I'd like to avoid.

Jay,

Nice find. This Scott Linden guy has a bunch of nice FFing tips on youtube.

Nice find!! I'll have to keep that one in mind for next time.

I have make that cast a bunch of time myself, although it never looked that good!

PaulG

I do that all the time. or rather any time I'm fishing up river on the right side and and have veg on the right side of me.

Another option is to tilt the rod over your left shoulder. The only dawback is you will lose the distance which I guess is the point of the video.

Great Video. Where I fish veggies are abundant! It's not about casting around them or avoiding them. They just are a part of fishing. Anyone fishing "Fisherman's Paradise" check out the pine tree before the bridge. Look up.

By the way Happy New Year! Wishing you good health and the insight to see life through childrens eyes.

If you read books written by some of the best fly casters in the US, they tend to make many of the same statements. Two people casting side by side have different styles, different techniques and both can accomplish getting that fly right where they desire the drift. I am not sure there is an exact, heres where your arm, shoulder, wrist must be, here is the right forward to nine back to 3 o'clock, etc method of casting. For me, it was learning what works for me, and allows me to place a drift in or darn near the exact spot I wanted more times than not. I've learned the softer, lighter, and slower touch I use with a fast action setup the better distance and drift location I end up with.

WOW jay i know i'll be able to use that one, the ditch on Big Spring comes to mind ..........been fly fishing almost 50 years and never saw that before THANKS

Or just put your back cast where it needs to be, not in the tree

Spyder20oz wrote:
Or just put your back cast where it needs to be, not in the tree

Do you just come here to peddle your misery, or do you have something to offer?

Pretty much just to stir up controversy

gotta aprreciate the honesty there....

Back