Canoe Fishing

• Thread starter theoriginalnickyp
  • Start date
theoriginalnickyp

theoriginalnickyp

Anyone fish out of a canoe? Looking for some good stretches to float in Eastern PA.

Started to dabble in it myself. Can't help with eastern PA streams. Good luck!

Nicky What area and what is the target?

The Susquehanna River is good for canoeing and fishing for smallmouth bass. I've done this numerous times.

I've seen nice looking sections of the Delaware River and know that it is a popular canoeing river, but don't have experience doing this.

Do NOT run the Lehigh Gorge, i.e. White Haven to Jim Thorpe, in a canoe. It's popular with kayakers and rafters, but it is too rough for canoes. My brother and I found this out the hard way.

I recommend getting a copy of the book: Keystone Canoeing: A Guide to Canoeable Water of Eastern Pennsylvania by Edward Gertler.

Would prefer trout but maybe I get into small mouth fishing this summer?

'Upper Wood Pond' is Heaven on water. Wildlife, lots of fish species, Depth that turns each fall, secluded, protected for Canoe type vessels.
Make sure you're legal. You only need the launch permit.
see the biologist reports.

Plenty of books on Amazon

Stackpole Books Paddling Pennsylvania Guide Book

https://www.amazon.com/Paddling-Pennsylvania-Kayaking-Canoeing-Keystone/dp/0811736261/ref=sr_1_3?crid=345JXG46CQRQ0&dchild=1&keywords=keystone+canoeing&qid=1591381228&sprefix=keystone+can%2Caps%2C263&sr=8-3

American Whitewater site is a good resourse.
Has a link to rivers by state. Gives you gauge readings, whitewater class (easy to difficult). etc.

Keep in mind, site is geared towards WW paddling, but they do list flat water rivers (class I & II).

PA rivers

Anyone ever float the Brodhead? I know there is a lot of controversy around the posted sections.

Upper woods pond was a great suggestion.

Im not sure if canoeing the Lackawaxen would be good but it is right there also.

Dear Nicky,

If you don't mind bass and panfish then Shohola Lake and Greeley Pond are two good choices also. Both can fish really well at times and there are fish of impressive sizes in both. I used to fish them a lot in a float tube and liked them because they are electric motor only lakes so they don't get over run with larger boats or jet skis.

Depending on where you are located in Eastern PA I can suggest that the Schuykill River from Hamburg to Reading can be floated in a canoe. So can the Swatara Creek, or the Perkiomen Creek. The Delaware is good also, but you need to be careful and stay above or below the tubers sometimes in the summer if you want to fish seriously.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

For many years my favorite outdoor recreation was a canoe camping trip. All in PA, NC,, VA, and WV. I have only caught trout in the Delaware River and Yellow Breeches Creek, but I knew that they were in the Little Juniata ,Yough, Sherman's Creek, and fished many others. I just didn't catch them.

I have also caught them in the Greenbrier River and South Branch of the Potomac River in West Virginia. I also have caught them in the South Fork of the New River in NC.

I have caught many more very small smallmouth bass. It is much easier to spin fish while in a canoe than fly fish.

Most canoe trips in the above mentioned states are warm water.

Loads of great info, I guess like most things fishing you just have to start exploring.

My kid's track coach has a saying, "The journey is the reward." Funny part is whenever he uses this about an student/athlete, I think of fishing.

Back