Can this be fixed?

mattd

mattd

Not too familier with rod fixing or building, just breaking. My fly rod got broke in the move so I'm borrowing my brothers while my grandfather fixes mine. The rod seems to cast fine but I noticed the reel is not lining up with the guides. The line actually lies against the side of the guides because the reel seet is out of line.

Is there any way to fix this?
thanks, Matt

Depends on the epoxy used to glue it.

The easiest way is to boili it for 20 minutes or more and it will slide off. Then it just needs to get glued back on.
Whenever I've done this, I use olive oil and seran wrap to keep the boiling from damaging the wood. But honestly, I don't know if it would.

I've heard that devcon 2-part epoxy would boil loose, but I broke a personaly rod once and thought that I could drill out the old blank to make room for the new one. When I did, the bit just spun in the graphite. Then after a minute or so, the friction heated up the glue and I saw the blank start to spin. I grabbed it with pliers and yanked and the old section of blank slide right out. Of course this was on an already broken, useless rod.

Mkern,

Thank you for the boiling tip.

That solves my reel seat problems.

jayL wrote:
Mkern,

Sorry Jay. We've talked about your reel seat issues more than once and I never thought to mention that. I just thought you knew. My bad.

Boyer

MattBoyer wrote:
jayL wrote:
Mkern,

Sorry Jay. We've talked about your reel seat issues more than once and I never thought to mention that. I just thought you knew. My bad.

Boyer

No worries. I could've been mentioned, and I could've forgotten it. I wouldn't doubt that one bit.

Thanks, I think I just might give it a shot.

Back