can i use this hook?

B

buzzin_frog

Can i use a streamer/nymph hook for deer hair bass bugs?

The gap might be a little small but I have found that if you can get the materials on the hook in the right proportion and there is nothing to keep the point from sticking to some part of the fishes mouth...in a pinch you can use whatever hook you want or happen to have.

buzzin_frog wrote:
Can i use a streamer/nymph hook for deer hair bass bugs?

I would guess a streamer or nymph hook would work okay for a DH bass bug. I would doubt the heavier hook would sink the fly given all the bouyancy of DH. Tie up one or two and give it a try before you fill a whole fly box with them. Let us know how it works for you.

Another thing about BBs, regardless of the hook you tie on, try spraying the DH with waterproof silicone like Scothgard or the camping waterproof stuff also works well. It really helps keep the DH from becoming saturated with water.

Also, keep in mind a fly that sinks a bit is not always a bad thing for catching fish. The fish will let you know.

Good luck.

ok, thanks for the help

tomgamber wrote:
The gap might be a little small but I have found that if you can get the materials on the hook in the right proportion and there is nothing to keep the point from sticking to some part of the fishes mouth...in a pinch you can use whatever hook you want or happen to have.

Good point Tom, I never thought about the hook gap (gape), only the weight of the hook.

Buzzin
Since the bottom should be shaved flat close to the hook shank, a streamer hook works ok. I've used them, though I do prefer a wider gape and keep a supply of bass bug hooks on hand. As for weight, I've used salt water hooks on occasion for oversized hair bugs, and they seemed to work ok. Also, Afish is right. Hair bugs will sink a bit after a couple of plops on the water, but that's not a bad thing at all. I don't scothguard my bugs, but it's not a bad idea.
Coughlin

I have used a Mustad 3906 size 6 for years when tying a deer hair bug. After awhile it does tend to sit low in the water, either from fish slime or being waterlogged. After cleaning the slime off or squeezing the water out and applying a little floatant doesn't get it to float higher just tie on one that's dry.

Tried using a bass hook for hair bugs and don't care for them. The hook point is too low. It snags everything. Can work the smaller hook through half the snags.

Before any one can say it, I haven't had luck tying a weed guard.

Back