Cammisa's Stealth Mode jig nymph

T

tctrout

Cammisa's Stealth Mode is a jig nymph that pays homage to tinsel-bodied flies with its use of UNI-Mylar. Though that material has "stealth" tendencies, everything completely changes with the rear hot spot...and fish don't seem to mind. Thanks for any thoughts or changes you'd make to the pattern, and happy holidays!

Tim

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz2Ttz7ImCY[/youtube]

I'm going to have to try fishing just a bead on a hook. That's not a knock on your fly TC, but hey let's face it, that's almost where we are with these euro/comp style flies.

PennKev wrote:
I'm going to have to try fishing just a bead on a hook. That's not a knock on your fly TC, but hey let's face it, that's almost where we are with these euro/comp style flies.

I completely agree with you! I am going to try some of this euro nymphing in the near future. I just purchased a 10'9" 3wt rod blank to build. I just don't think I could get myself to fish nymphs like that though! I'll still be throwing pheasant tails and walts worms on it!

bigjohn58 wrote:
PennKev wrote:

I completely agree with you! I am going to try some of this euro nymphing in the near future. I just purchased a 10'9" 3wt rod blank to build. I just don't think I could get myself to fish nymphs like that though! I'll still be throwing pheasant tails and walts worms on it!

Hey bigjohn,

I use conventional flies for Euro type nymphing all the time. I've always tied most of them weighted anyway They catch fish just a well as the skinny flies plus I cheat and add weight on the point to get them down.

Have fun building and fishing your new rod. Post a pic when it's finished.

I understand what you're saying, and the slender flies have their place. From the tight line perspective, these flies perform well when fishing single flies in spots where there's medium current and you need to get down quick.

I'll also tie this one with some .010 wire under the thorax and make even less turns with the UNI-Mylar to keep it even more slender. But, and you know what I'm going to say, the fish respond to this style of patterns in many situations.

Tim

Nevermind, I'm an idiot who has too many windows open.

Back