Cammisa's CDC Green Caddis

T

tctrout

Get your Grannom flies out now! My newest video features Cammisa's CDC Green Caddis, one that is intended to represent the Grannom caddisflies (and Mother's Day Caddis).

This one has performed well for me over the last few years, and I hope it does the same for you!

Tim

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH3dwxZDpKM[/youtube]

It's just amazing how different "we" fly fishermen have such different styles of fly tying and preferred flies. As soon as I see that huge arse bead head on a body that is not proportionate to the rest of the body and that huge gape of the hook showing I lose all interest in that fly. Yet guys will fish it and light fish up on it I'm sure. I spend as much effort as I can using hooks that are very "streamline" with the nymph to hide the hook and most Euro-nymphs these days are 60% hook and 40% fly. Craziness, but if it didn't work no one would be using them, maybe I'm the crazy one.

3oh4 wrote:
It's just amazing how different "we" fly fishermen have such different styles of fly tying and preferred flies. As soon as I see that huge arse bead head on a body that is not proportionate to the rest of the body and that huge gape of the hook showing I lose all interest in that fly. Yet guys will fish it and light fish up on it I'm sure. I spend as much effort as I can using hooks that are very "streamline" with the nymph to hide the hook and most Euro-nymphs these days are 60% hook and 40% fly. Craziness, but if it didn't work no one would be using them, maybe I'm the crazy one.

My fly tying style is EXACTLY like yours. I'm not a fan of the large beads that aren't proportional to the hook and I hate seeing more hook than fly.

I like the proportions too.

My question would be why use CDC on a fly that sinks with such a large bead? To trap air?

MKern wrote:

My question would be why use CDC on a fly that sinks with such a large bead? To trap air?

That's my guess...to give it a little bit if a bubble effect I'm thinking.

MKern wrote:

I use CDC just like you would use any other soft hackle. Just adds movement/bugginess/legs/whatever.

I guess it has always been weird to me that you would pay for a relatively expensive feather that is coveted for its flotation, just to sink it.

My caddis pupa imitations don't look anything like this, nor do the naturals. I do quite well with mine, to each his/her own.

MKern wrote:

The CDC fibers have incredible bugginess when wet, especially considering the tiny barbules. Trapping air is definitely not something I factor in, though many apply floatant to CDC prior to sinking...check out what that does. ;-)

Another post mentioned the high cost of CDC, and in my case, a close friend is a duck and goose hunter and I have enough CDC to last a few lifetimes. I occasionally trade some, though the "select" ones are used on dry flies (typically a Comparadun-style or other type of emerger).

This fly performed well for me up until about a week ago, and I've switched body colors (more of an olive) with the insects in some of the waters I've been fishing. I haven't found a tan that I like in that body material...yet!

Tim

Tim,
Nice caddis fly for the mom's day, all the best for the mom! :)

Attachments

• Tim Cammisa.jpg
    Tim Cammisa.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 4
skybay wrote:
Tim,
Nice caddis fly for the mom's day, all the best for the mom! :)

Thanks Jared, and you got a great pic of me...though my wife thinks I look way too focused. HAHA! That fly in the vise was a variation of the "TOP SECRET" Stonefly, and a few guys were upset that i was showing others that pattern at the event! ;-)

Thanks again for the kind words, and great seeing you at the Reunion.

Tim

Back