Cam pin for older Thompson-style vise

R

RLeep2

I'm soliciting ideas for a replacement cam pin for this old 1970's vintage vise I have. The thing is Orvis by brand (Orvis "Simplicity", IIRC..) but it looks like the higher end Thompson vises from the same period. Actually, it looks pretty much like a Thompson A, it just cost twice as much...:) The pin broke last year and I like to use the vise for larger flies in rotation with my Griffith. Of course, there is no chance of getting an actual replacement pin made for either the original vise or even for an old Thompson (which would work, I'm sure). So, I have to improvise. I figure it would have to be something made from relatively high tensile metal to withstand the force that is exerted on it when the jaws are clamped. Surely somebody here has been down this road before and I'm interested in what you found to use as a replacement pin.

Thanks! RLP

I used a 8 penny nail that i cut to size. The head is stop on one side and I bent nail to lock in place

To do a proper job get an appropriate size brass rod, cut to length, place through hole in cam, and wack on each end with hammer to flare end and lock pin in place. When I get home I can get pic for you of my nail fix which has been in place for 20 years.

If you know the diameter and length of the existing (broke) pin a roll pin (Lowes,Depot,NAPA) of the appropriate size could be peined in and trimmed/filed to fit. Decapping pins for reloading dies could possibly be rigged also. Generally they come in 5 pks.
If these don’t solve it, try Brownells under “pins”. Size will be everything. Good luck. Small stainless clevis pin? McMaster/Carr??

Orvis will have pin. Or take complete vise to local hardware store, not Low or Depot. Local hardware will have an inexpensive fix. Or local machine shop, not as cheap.

I think your overthinking the forces at work. It's a fly tying vise. There are no incredible forces at work requiring super steel. Pin it with whatever fits the best. It will be fine.

I just looked at my cam pin which I've never noticed in 30 years. It's a simple pin with a flared head on one side and a small hole with the smallest cotter pin I've ever seen on the other side. Since the pin is so short and 85% of it is supported by the actual stem, the forces required to bend it would not be possible in a fly tying vise.

if it were me,i would just find a clevis pin to fit,or,you could buy a thompson and use the pin from that.

I 2nd the nail. it works.

maxima12 wrote:
I 2nd the nail. it works.

Me too.

It's a design flaw of the old Thompson vices. I'd get a bunch of nails and and just keep putting fresh ones in as the vise gradually bent them. A bag of clevis pins or blunt end screws would probably be better and you don't have to worry about sharp points.

Coat hanger? Paper clip? Hair Pin?...

Here is my nail fix.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for all the input, folks. I think for the time being, I'll try some variant on the nail fix and see how that goes before escalating the issue into some of the other ideas.

Thanks again!
RLP

take it to your local big box hardware store and get the correct size spring pin

slotted_spring_pins.jpg

Local hardware. Socket head should bolt, flat washer, wave washer, nut, locktight (blue). Take vise with you to hardware.

Back