Caddis?

flyfisherman22

flyfisherman22

Hey guys,

While fishing Kettle Creek this past weekend, my buddies where taking a break and looking to catch some aquatic insects and found this stick completely covered with Caddis (i think). Ive just never seen anything like this and wanted to verify this. the water temp was 48-50 degrees. The water level was at june levels (low and gin clear).

They were pretty small, probably size 16. But definitely no bigger than a 14. Also on the stick, there were hendricksons, and quill. but i dont believe i got a picture with any in the frame.

Attachments

• Kettle Creek resized.jpg
    Kettle Creek resized.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Kettle Creek resized 2.jpg
    Kettle Creek resized 2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Kettle Creek resized 3.jpg
    Kettle Creek resized 3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 8
Can't enlarge to get a look, but I'm guessing tent worms or something terrestrial.

if ya have any larger pics email em to me at my shop, and I'll look at them. did you find the branch under water ? Need better (clear) pics. I was just on upper kettle and saw a lot of caddis stacked prior to emergence..

I saw a bunch of aquatic larvae on some woody debris a couple of years ago on Fishing Creek, they were bunched up just like that. They were either midge or crane fly larvae.

I will email you the full size images as soon as i get back to my personal computer.

The branch was found in a faster run about a foot underwater. (my buddy lost to many flies in it to leave it be).

on the branch, there were a few hendricksons, with the occasional quill. but none of the "worms" had any casing, nor was there any empty casings on the branch. just have never seen anything like this.

Just to let everyone know, flyfisherman22 sent me the pics and they are Black fly larva getting ready to pupate, can tell by the enlarged end of the larva.(not shown in the pics from here).

I think the black fly "hatch" or "bite" has already started.

I remember a few years back (2 years maybe) over memorial day weekend in the kettle creek valley, they actually implanted black flies in order to mitigate the gypsy moth problems. I wonder how bad they are going to be this year? after finding out that the pictures Ive posted where in fact black fly larvae, i have to say I'm a little bit pessimistic about being able to fish for more than an hr at a clip during the day.

The larvae you found on the stick are simuliidae larvae and no relation to the "black flies" that you are referring to. I'm not aware of any terrestrial flies used in gypsy moth control. There is a parasitic wasp belonging to the Braconidae family that parasitizes gypsy moth egg masses. But like I said the simullidae larvae on your stick are not involved in gypsy moth control nor have they ever been "released". PA has one of the largest black fly control programs in the world. I have been involved in the PA gypsy moth supression program since 2001 and have never heard of any dipteran released for control purposes since then.

A WCO we talked to last year stated that the reasoning for the flies being everywhere (they had everything covered. white coolers where black with them) where due to the moths, maybe he misspoke but that was what i was told. didnt think about looking into it

Look familiar?

These are tachinid flies. They don't bite, but there's so many, they just drive you nuts. Nothing in the way of repellents seems to work on them. 100% Deet has no effect whatsoever on them.

I was told by relatives that live up there that they were released to control the tent caterpillar infestation. They're a parasitic fly that lay eggs on the caterpillars, and the fly larva feed on their host, which kills it.

Here's a link about it: Tachinid Flies

I also read that tachinid flies are not available commercially - they must be purchased by a government agency.

Attachments

• IMGP0186.jpg
    IMGP0186.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 8
Look familiar? They drive us crazy at our cabin along Kettle Creek. They call them "friendly flies". And I know they serve a purpose.

Last year, we sprayed the outside of coolers and everything with a bleach solution to try to get them to stay away, but didn't phase them at all. they are almost unbearable while on the water.

Also maybe the WCO i talked to got that mixed up, but i know they told us that they released them for a purpose, and there is most likely the answer, thanks Heritage.

Back