Caddis "Tail" ?

P

ponner1us

I'm trying to tie up some small (16-18) Caddis. What should I be using for the "tail?" I just don't understand if its Antron and if so, how is it tied to form a tail? I'm just a newb with tying in general.

Usually no tails on a caddis fly.

Attachments

• caddis.jpg
    caddis.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 4
What stage of the lifecycle? Any patterns you're particularly asking about? Adults and larvae don't have any kind of "tail", but emergent caddis patterns often do have a trailing shuck of antron or some other similar material.

If that's what you're referring to, see this: http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/tutorials/dry-flies/grannom-x-caddis

jayL, that's pretty much it, an emerger I think, thanks for the link, now I know what to order and how to tie it. I have been doing really well with this fly and ran out and need to tie some up. The only difference with the one I had is that the elk hair, or deer hair, is clipped really short.

Ponner,
the way a caddis is tied as an emerger be it the LaFontaine ESP { Emergegent Sparkle Pupa} or a Matthew's X_Caddis,its just a small bunch of fibers that mimic the pupal shuck they shouldn't flare like a elk hair caddis wing but rather a lil straight back .its a deadly way to show the fish something other than Henryvilles or Elk Hair Caddis { EHC}.And they work really good too.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Thanks for all of the help! For such an effective fly, there must be a thousand different ways to tie them. Time for me to get to it.

Try tying that wing with some CDC and a little woodchuck hair if you're making smaller sizes.

ponner1us wrote:
Thanks for all of the help! For such an effective fly, there must be a thousand different ways to tie them. Time for me to get to it.

Part of that is the huge variety of caddis. Caddis just don't get the respect that mayflies do when it comes to hatch matching, chasing, tying etc.

Chasing? lol I chased the Apple caddis around the Upper Delaware for 2 weeks this spring it was amazing! Sometimes I had to use a Hendrickson though!

Back