Caddis on the Wissahickon

ian_brown

ian_brown

Last Friday there was a nice evening olive caddis hatch on the Wissahickon near Ft. Washington. I was surprised; I thought the only good Wissahickon hatch was the early spring Little Brown Marlboro hatch.

The fish were hitting them really hard, many jumping entirely out of the water. I caught my first two fish on dry flies, including this one.

I'm hooked.

Ian,
your last picture is the best argument for barbless hooks. I have done it many times althought I have never drawn blood....

My thoughts exactly. I mash all of my barbs because I know I'm clumsy.

One other thing. Not only were these the first fish I've caught on dries, they were also the first ones I've caught on flies I tied.

Congratulations, Ian - it looks like the lessons paid off!

Catching fish on your own flies is a treat.
It is also fun watching someon else catch fish on flies that you tied. Maybe kind of voyeristic but at least you know that they are good enough to work.....sometimes.

Congratulations as well. 30 yrs later the memory of the first trout I caught on a dry is more vivd than most others from that time frame. Odds are your fishing aspects will never be the same.

Congratulations, Ian and nice pics! If you're down the Valley Green way, there's a really productive pool below the falls. It's best fished in the early evening and I have success tossing a soft hackle up stream and letting it dead drift.
Coughlin

Back