Caddis Indicator fly

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
The pattern shown below looks like a great pattern to use as an indicator dry fly for your dry-dropper rig.

It's certainly looks like a great indicator fly, but if you're fishing with an indicator, you're not really Euro-nymphing, are you? Or is my understanding of Euro-nymphing completely wrong?

redietz wrote:
It's certainly looks like a great indicator fly, but if you're fishing with an indicator, you're not really Euro-nymphing, are you? Or is my understanding of Euro-nymphing completely wrong?

Comp anglers use dry-dropper rigs. I dug up is a fishing report from a comp angler that used a DD with success >

https://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/blog/world-fly-fishing-championships-2016-vail-colorado-session-two-lower-eagle-river/

I'm not questioning the effectiveness of DD rigs, or whether competition anglers use them, but whether it's still Euro-nymphing as the video claimed.

In the same blog you linked to, the comp. angler also fished a dry fly. Does that count as Euro-nymphing?

I'm being picky, perhaps, but I firmly believe that words should mean something.

redietz wrote:
I'm not questioning the effectiveness of DD rigs, or whether competition anglers use them, but whether it's still Euro-nymphing as the video claimed.

In the same blog you linked to, the comp. angler also fished a dry fly. Does that count as Euro-nymphing?

I'm being picky, perhaps, but I firmly believe that words should mean something.

Comp anglers use dry flies. I think the big misconception is most anglers equate comp fishing only with Euro nymphing. They fish all methods that are allowed in the competition.

Josh explains that they use it on a Euro nymphing setup, which employs much longer leaders than anglers typically use. Lighter rated rods are often needed in these circumstances because casting a long leader with no fly line (and minimal or no weight in the nymph) to help load the rod can be difficult.

I understand Redietz query? The question is whether dry/dropper is a form of euro nymphing? I say it is it's own style but SteveG pointed out it is used on a euro nymphing setup by comp anglers.

I say it's dry/dropper but who knows.

or is euro nymphing adopting the already established dry/dropper technique?

chicken/egg

Look at it this way: I once saw B.B. King perform "You Are My Sunshine" in concert. Although B.B. was a blues musician, that doesn't mean "You Are My Sunshine" a blues song. Just because a competition angler uses a dry/dropper, doesn't make a dry/dropper a Euro-nymphing technique. (In fact comp anglers use multiple techniques, including dry flies and streamer.) Even using a Euro setup doesn't make it Euro nymphing. B.B. didn't switch out from Lucille when he played YAMSS.

Like Kelly Gallup's Found Link as dry of dropper/dry setup. Tied with in yellow or other visible color.

Euro nymphing as a rule, do not use indicators or shot. Usually flies are weighted to perform perfectly according to water depth! Euro nymphing generally all happens a rod length in front of you.

You rely on sight of bright colored, hi - vis line {nowdays called sighters}. Most standard is a 3 fly set up.

Best way to check this out would be: Buy a chech style leader and attach 10 to 15 feet of 25 or 30 lb. test to butt section and your home! you want the line running straight up and down without a bow in the leader.

I wasn't clear of what I was trying to convey. I just meant that Josh is a comp guy, and that is typically equated or used interchangeably with Euro nymphing. The specific technique is definitely dry dropper, which can be used on a long Euro leader.

Fwiw, he may have titled it that way to grab attention or to help with search/social media optimization, since "euro nymphing" is likely a good keyword for his target audience.

Fwiw, winter is here lol

Back