Caddis Emerger

dc410

dc410

Stopped by this afternoon at the Tully. Some fish working the surface or so it seemed. There were lots of caddis shucks floating down the creek as well as some adults on the surface and in the air. I finally was a able to catch one of the adult caddis flies (those buggers are sometimes next to impossible to catch in a decent current without one of those little nets) :lol: The one I caught was bright green in color. I was surprised to see the green ones coming off already. I was swinging some wet flies without much action. After rooting through my caddis box I found an old caddis emerger pattern about the right color that has produced well for me over the years. Well, it still works! They were obviously keying on the color because I don't think I had the size at all right. I believe this pattern emulates the adult caddis just at the point where it totally emerges from the shuck. Here is how I tie 'em.

Hook: Curved shank, wide gap 14-18 (20's would probably send me to the nut bin, but if you can deal with it, they will work as the season rolls along)
Body: Bright green ultra chenille (tied short extended body style)
Underwing: Elk hair tied short
Antennae: (2) Wood duck feather fibers
Shuck: Tan antron yarn
Thorax: Dark green fine dubbing
Thread: Olive 6/0

Melt the end of the ultra chenille with a lighter and color the top of it with an olive marker (leave the underside bright green). You can tie these in any size or color, I have just become real attached to the bright green ones. Give 'em a shot on your favorite caddis stream. Good luck!

Attachments

• Caddis Emerger.jpg
    Caddis Emerger.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 11
That's an excellent caddis pupae and - I would think - likely very effective fished right in or below the film.

Good report on the Tully as well.

I'll take a dozen. Very Nice!

Very nice, I tie something similar but tie the antron in with a dubbed body so the bubbles are tight to the body.

Back