cabelas turtleskin snake gaitors

k-bob

k-bob

I fish remote poconos and maryland panhandle places for brookies, and typically do a lot of bushwhacking. ... the best brookie streams I know are remote and not only have no trails along them, they have no trails to them. (Also, no cell service, and typically I see no one way out there -- in dozens of trips I ran into zero other fisherpeople this summer, just a few mountain bikers, climbers, and backpackers).

In short, good places for brookies are bad places to get hurt. Needless to say, all that bushwhacking, and climbing over rocks, into ravines, etc., takes a toll on waders along with knees and ankles.

When I heard that a guy I know get hit by a MD copperhead while fishing, and saw the scars, I ordered cabelas turtleskin snake chaps (about $130, one size for all, reversible khaki/camo).

The gaitors have a full length zipper up the back, and their weight seems trivial. Takes a minute to wrap 'em on and zip 'em up.

Used the gaitors yesterday over waders for a rough climb into and out of an upper section of Stony Creek in a Carbon County state game land, all off-trail. Was glad I had them, since it is steep, rocky, and at times pretty wild down there (great scenery, if not the very best brookie fishing). The gaitors are like sleeves that cover from wading boot top to knee, quite light. I forgot about them when walking, but appreciated them when here and there I had to crawl through rhodo-laurel walls, and do rough mountain-goaty climbing -- quite a ravine.

The gaitors look fine and dried out well after being immersed repeatedly. I think they will help with wader life through brush, etc. (They cost less than a pair of waders.)

The gaitors have some issues 1) they look a little different, but who cares? I never see anybody out there anyhow, and I probably also wouldn't look so cool with a copperhead bite; 2) they cost $140, but I spend enough on fishing stuff that I don't care; 3) the biggest issue I had was that they made extended kneeling after stalking a pool less comfortable since the tops of the gaitors got folded behind me knees; will have to think about this, and 4), they could be hot in the summer? I don't know, it was cool yesterday.

I plan to use the gaitors anyplace there might be a toxic snake or for any serious bushwhacking I do and probably should have bought thema long time ago.

Back