Cabela's Three Forks/Prestige Plus Fly Combo with Fly Line

redrockgrizzly

redrockgrizzly

anybody have any info on this setup. im looking to get dad a fly rod for christmas. he never really went before so im looking for a beginner setup. he may go 5 or 6 times a year. im looking for a good but cheap setup so he could go out a couple of times. he will mostly be fishing small streams and maybe the largest stream he might fish would be upper fishing creek near benton.

fly rod and reel

It's a decent set up for him, and at a good price.

I have owned a few of that reel over the years. It was good for occasional use, but wore out pretty quickly when used heavily. If starts to fish more seriously, he could easily upgrade and use it as a backup.

If you're going to a store, don't hesitate to look in the bargin cave for a used reel, and they still carry the Medalist in stock. They're not featherweights, but they're nigh indestructable.

The combo set up has a plastic reel seat. Mine lasted about 8 months and I had to return it as it would no longer hold my reel tight.

As Jay said I my drag broke shortly after purchase to not like I ever caught a fish that I needed it but still.

You had a 3 Forks or you had a Genesis?

I picked up a 3wt. outift last year of that combo to bang around, and it's decent.. definitely good for getting started (the price is right!)

I got one in the 8wt. It's a pretty good set up to get started, but not if you think he's going to get even moderately serious.

My reel seat is aluminum, and I was fighting a steelie and maybe it was the way I was holding my hand or something, but while fighting it the seat became loose and I almost lost the reel.

I'd get him a medalist as see what is in the Bargain Cave/clearance. I got a nice Cabela's LST 50% off earlier this year, and it's by far a better rod.

Red,

I've had the 7'6", 3 wt for 7 years. I bought the combination you described. Best thing I did the first year was to "throw" away the Prestige reel (mine was a piece of junk) and purchase an Orvis Battenkill II series reel. To me, this is a dynamite combination (love the rod) and use it 30-40 times a year. Great for midge fishing and fishing small streams.

Dale

I've been using the 7&1/2 ft 3wt for about a year and a half and it's been the only rod I use on the spring creeks here in the Lehigh Valley. Mine came with a silver Ross flystart reel and I llove the whole setup.

Back