cabelas prestige reel

bassistjon112

bassistjon112

This is to any one who owns this reel as well. Its the prestige (one) reel by cabelas. Any ways my problem is that some times when pulling line out the reel just free spins and all the line just spits out. any one else experience this?

It ultimately has made me hate the reel.

Take it back. They'll replace it.

I believe the reel is actually a rebranded okuma sierra, which is a good value trout reel.

Its a older model from maybe 5 years ago. Its a great looking reel but preforms poorly. This was before they went large arbored.

The prestige plus is large arbored, but the prestige is still offered in a standard model.

Small pic, but is this it?

CabelasPrestigeFlyReel.jpg

I say take it back and see what they can do for ya. Even if they won't replace it, you managed to get 5 years out of a $30 or so reel. Not bad IMO.

I would also take it apart and oil everything really well.

Is your the click/pawl drag or the disk drag version? I had the original click version. If this is the case, its a matter of pointing the little metal triangles in the right direction. Mine broke loose and I bought the newer disk drag version (cause it costs almost nothing).

Thats it, but as far as getting five years out it I used it maybe 10 times at most.

I keep a weight 5 line on and for some reason I dont use my 5 weights that much compared to 4 and 3 weights.

I always thought it was to pretty to use ha. But now I have more than just that reason to not use it.

When this happened to mine all I had to do was take it apart and clean and relube the internal parts. Make sure the one way roller bearing is realy clean.

The worst thing you can do to fishing gear is not use it. Use it, maintain it and it lasts longer. Just like anything else. Try what pap-paw said. I know I did that a couple times to mine.

tomgamber wrote:
The worst thing you can do to fishing gear is not use it. Use it, maintain it and it lasts longer. Just like anything else. Try what pap-paw said. I know I did that a couple times to mine.

I just try to give all of my kids the same amount of time but I seem to favor my 3 weight over my five weight. But im going to try what he said, thanks.

~Jon

Oh yeah to other guys who owned the reel, do you like how the reel just reels in so freely and fast? Some times it messes me up. I guess its because of the disc drag so maybe I should just stick with click prawl type reels.

Yeah, I like it.

I can't stand reels that make noise on the retrieve, though I would like to own an old pflueger one day.

I have the Sierra reel which like Jay said is what cabelas just marks. From my experience you really do have to keep that reel clean and it will work great. The problem i have is that if you accidentally dunk it in water, grit seems to jam the reel easily. You can take the spool off and clean it out and it's fine again. Good reel for the money.

Jay, funny thing about the pfluegers with the ratchet plates is that, in my experience they make more noise on the retrieve than on the payout.... kind of a$$ backwards but i love them. Never had a jamming problem or any other issues with those reels, as well as all my other click pawl reels. Also, a fine tuned hardy or other click pawl makes very little noise on the retrieve. If the spring is shaped correctly the pawl gets out of the way on the take in. You can usually tweak those springs to get the action you like. Sounds like a lot of work but i enjoy customizing my gear.

Tuning Springs - Clarks Classic Reels - Tuning Springs

I never understand the people who dislike the sound, that's like the magic bit that energizes me to keep going, the long peels of takign line off the reel, or that subtle, quiet reminder of the line going back in.

Its like woodsmoke on the wind, or loons across a lake.

Meh.

I like the outgoing sound, just not the incoming.

Reel noise. I have inadvertently alerted trout with it on occasion. It's always something.

i own 2 prestige reels and an okuma sierra no probs with any of them but i also dont have the prestige 1 either one is a 2 and one is a 3 although my brother had some trouble with his but it turned out to be defective and took it back.... no hassle

i stand corrected i own one prestige its a 2 and a csr 3 from cabelas

Back