Cabelas Guidewear Clothing Line

Swattie87

Swattie87

This is likely old news but...Other than the heavy rain gear, apparently gone with the merger. I really liked this line, the pants especially. They competed well against the higher end companies at half or 2/3 the cost. Bummer. The RedHead (BPS house line) fishing clothing that is stocked now is junk by comparison.

This kind of stuff was sure to happen with the merger, but I wish they kept the better products when consolidating. Better for the consumer anyway. I suspect the RedHead line must have had better margins.

I think that Cabela's has gone down hill since the merger. I have been unimpressed with anything recently purchased.

I have an older(30 years ago) Alaskan Model Geodesic tent that is still going strong. Other than that, I am under impressed with my recent Cabela's purchases.

I have some of the Cabelas Guideware pants and love them. I also have a pair of the gloves I wear from time to time. It was decent stuff I all got before the merger. Then Bass Pro took it over and I no longer buy anything from Cabelas or Bass Pro it seems. I actually just quit using my Cabelas credit card because I'm so unhappy with the merger and the products they currently carry. That merger was bad for Cabelas and the industry as a whole.

Cabelas is a mere shadow of what they were pre-merger. They had developed (IMO) well regarded, quality house branded product lines across a spectrum of merchandise of interest to the fly angler, from tying hooks to rods to clothing. Most of it is gone now or on the way out. I have a hard time any more finding enough stuff of interest to burn up the freebee points I accumulate on their card.

I tell Cabela's these things every time I have an opportunity to give feedback.

This is what happens when you throw in your lot with a bunch of bass boat salesmen in chartreuse jumpsuits that serve as walking billboards.

It's a shame..

Though I’m not happy with Cabelas about the merger, they’re far from the only company doing this. It’s corporate culture today.

It seems a “better” product or service is defined as one that’s more profitable for the company, and/or stockholders if publicly held. Even if that means making an inferior product or offering a less quality service, which most of the time it seems it does, as the additional profit is generally derived from reduced cost. (But charging the consumer the same, or more, as before the changes in the product or service were made to reduce the cost.) You see many companies across all kinds of industries adopting this approach, as opposed to winning business the right way, by building a superior product, or offering a superior service.

There are still many good companies out there that don’t do stuff like this. Cabelas was one of them, but in my eyes, is no more. Might as well just brand all the stores BPS. But they don’t, likely because they want the reputation the former Cabelas had as a quality outfit with good house line products and good service, even if it’s just a facade now.

Cabelas gift card used to be my default suggestion when someone asked for a gift idea for me. Could always eventually use it for something outdoor gear related, even if I didn’t need anything specific at the moment. But I’ve found it harder and harder to spend money there as of late. Just don’t have what I want, and when they do, they’re not competitive price wise. Used up the last of my gift cards on some probably overpriced Columbia branded clothing for my wife recently. But they had been sitting for a couple years unused prior to that. Think I’ll be switching to recommending Lowe’s or Sierra Trading Post moving forward. Always could use something from one of those two it seems.

It’s funny…

For a VERY long time I’ve shopped at both Cabela’s & Bass Pro Shops. I even have the Cabela’s credit card.

I went to Bass Pro for all of my conventional tackle, especially bass lures, hooks & soft plastics because they had the better selection, however after buying a couple of Bass Pro branded items I swore off BPS as a choice for clothing or other “store brand” gear.

As a result I’ve have a bunch of Cabela’s Guidewear clothing items, a Cabela’s Alaska Guide tent, a bunch of spinning & baitcasting rods and gear bags galore.

I love the Guidewear shirts & pants and use them all the time. To be honest, I found features I liked in the Cabela’s Guidewear that I couldn’t find in the fancy brands costing 2-3 times as much.

When the merger was announced knowing something had to go, all I said to everyone was I didn’t care as long as it was the Cabela’s branded clothing & gear that they kept…

Oh well…

I received a BPS gift card and the pickings are indeed quite slim. Was considering the Cabelas Premium Waist Highs. Feedback pro or con on these would be much appreciated.

Bamboozle wrote:
It’s funny…

For a VERY long time I’ve shopped at both Cabela’s & Bass Pro Shops. I even have the Cabela’s credit card.

I went to Bass Pro for all of my conventional tackle, especially bass lures, hooks & soft plastics because they had the better selection, however after buying a couple of Bass Pro branded items I swore off BPS as a choice for clothing or other “store brand” gear.

As a result I’ve have a bunch of Cabela’s Guidewear clothing items, a Cabela’s Alaska Guide tent, a bunch of spinning & baitcasting rods and gear bags galore.

I love the Guidewear shirts & pants and use them all the time. To be honest, I found features I liked in the Cabela’s Guidewear that I couldn’t find in the fancy brands costing 2-3 times as much.

When the merger was announced knowing something had to go, all I said to everyone was I didn’t care as long as it was the Cabela’s branded clothing & gear that they kept…

Oh well…

I felt exactly how you did about both BPS and Cabelas. I liked the conventional tackle Bass Pro had better than Cabelas. When it came though to fly fishing, clothing, hunting, I thought Cabelas was far superior of a product.

I don't shop there any more easer and better selection online at other sites.

Ditto on everything said about Cabelas. I cut up my credit card about 2 years ago. I don't miss the measly 1% I got off it for almost 20 years as my primary credit card.

Haven't been to Hamburg in over 4 years and don't plan to go back anytime soon. Cabelas brand products, customer service, and warranty used to be top notch. Sad....

Back