Cabelas FT rods

jayL

I was at cabelas to get a pair of ski pants today, and ended up leaving with an 11 foot 6wt 3 piece FT rod. It was in the bargain cave, and marked down to $130 from $280. The rod was in its case, hidden in a bin of empty cases-- a few feet from all the other rods. What luck!

Anyway, I gave it a very long look, and saw no imperfections. The guy working there said that it's a discontinued model, so that's why it was marked down. At that discount, plus the fact that it's such a weird and seemingly steelhead-perfect length and weight, I had to get it.

I look forward to putting it to the test in Erie in the next few weeks with a fly line, and I ultimately want to get a centerpin to use with it as well. It should also fish well on the big D, locally for smallies, and whatever else I can come up with for a use.

Has anyone fished these rods? What did you think? Also, any other ideas for a good use for an 11 foot 6wt?

I really like the FT+ rod. I bought one for my grandson when they first went on clearance earlier this year. It is a 8'6" 3wt so I'm not sure how well it will compare to yours. But I liked it so much I went back a week later to buy another one for me but they were gone. It's a fast rod so I balanced it with a SA GPX. That line seems to give me good performance in close and out to 40' or so. I don't typically cast further so I can't comment on distance casting.

As for the 11' length I think any high sticking method would apply on streams like the Tully. Plus single hand spey techniques should be doable with the appropriate line. I would just say to be sure to balance the rod with an appropriate weight reel (not too light) if you will be doing a lot of casting. I would think an unbalanced 11' outfit could be a very tiring after a day of casting.

Jay,

That sounds like a really sweet rod. It'll be great for the steelies.

I broke my 6 wt. on the Yough this past summer, so I have an Okuma SLV 5/6 loaded with a cheap WF6 that I'm not using right now. You can borrow it for a while if you like. I used it with some success as my steelhead outfit last year.

Alb,

Thanks for the offer. I've already got a spare spool for my prestige plus laying around and am going to put a 6wt line that I've had for a while on it. If I manage to fry the plus, I'll be dropping by your area again. 🙂

Back