Cabelas CZN

S

Scratch

I have been thinking about getting a 10' 4 weight cabelas CZN just to try a longer rod. If anyone on this forum has any experience with the rod I would like to hear some opinions. I would also like to know how they handle dry flys? Any comments about the rod will be appreciated

I use the CZN 3 wt (9.5 ft?) everywhere except big water and I really like it. Originally purchased for usefulness of the length in managing line in small stream pocket water.

It is my most often used rod, only rarely used for czech style nymphing (not due to rod, but due to my preferred approach to the smallish streams i fish most often)
I find it quite good for casting dries and indicator nymph rigs.
I like the length and the soft tip section for casting far with light line.

I agree 100% on the 9.5 3-weight - by far most versatile rod I own and fish regularly. It is great for nymphing, swinging soft hackles, and fishing dries! The 10 ft, 4 weight is a little too heavy - my buddy has one and I have fished it. When you compare the two, on stream, you will want to 3 weight.

I like it very much. I use it more now than my $650.00 Sage 10' 4wt. Can beat the price. They usually run sales on these and I think I picked it up for 149.00. 90 percent I'm using tight line/euro techniques. I have used it for dryfly fishing the other 10 percent and it works well. Get the 10', the extra length really makes a difference for nymphing.

I purchased a CZN 11' 4 wt earlier this year and love it. I use it on wider creeks and streams to "high stick". All the rods in my quiver are Cabela's and am very happy with their performance.

I love this rod.

I have been using it for the last 3 years on the bigger water I fish. At first I did think the rod was heavy but I swapped out the Cabela's reel that came with it and use my Echo reel on it. For me it's perfect. It can handle big nymphs and when you need it to, it can throw dries.

You won't be disappointed.

I am also thinking of buying the CZN. Wish they had a 10' 3 wt, but I'll probably go with the 9'5" 3wt for mostly high sticking and euro nymphing on small to mid-size streams.

What line do you guys prefer with this set up? Anybody try/like the Cortland euro nymph line?

Truth be told, for Euro and high stick nymphing, line is almost a moot point. I rarely fish with much more than the line tip out of the guides...

wgmiller wrote:
Truth be told, for Euro and high stick nymphing, line is almost a moot point. I rarely fish with much more than the line tip out of the guides...

For the euro style nymphing the line is a very important consideration. I recently changed to a level line instead of a weight forward and now I can have my line in the guides or 30' of line out when need be. Doing that with a WF line is a recipe for frustration.

I also have the 9.5ft 3wt and highly recommend this rod. Especially for the price. It even casts dries fairly well but where it really shines is in the tight line euro nymphing game. very responsive and light.

I just bought the 11' 4wt but haven't had the chance to use it yet- I'll let you know when I do!

Never thought about getting a Cabalas rod but sounds like this rod is well liked.

Back