Cabela's CGR Reel

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

Does anyone have any experience with these reels? Cabelas has them on sale for dirt cheap. I should probably know better since I've had 2 cheaper cabela reels self destruct on me. But I've heard a lot of good things about the CGR rods and am thinking maybe they got the reel right too?

I bout a 3-4wt and a 5-6wt reel last year. I feel they are very good reels. No drag system which works well. If you are not going for steelhead or super large fish, you do not need the drag. The spools are not interchangeable between the 4 and 5 wt but the 5wt reel will fit on my 4 wt rods. I am going to buy a couple more since I am looking for a few spare spools. At the price listed, they are a great deal. Too bad the do not have the 4 wt reel on sale.

My son started fly fishing this year and he loves it. I ordered 2 CGR's this morning so he can fish some of my fly rods. I heard it's a solid reel, and a helluva deal at $9.88.

looks like a Ross Colorado knockoff. Not a lot of parts to break. If they do break you're only out 10 bucks. Seems like a good deal to me.

Got my CGR reels today, can't believe how nice they are. The tolerance between the spool and the frame is excellent. Should have bought more than 2, but they are sold out.

Back