Cabelas CGR 7'6" 5/6 Review

NJTroutbum

NJTroutbum

CGR%2BBrown.JPG

This weekend was the first opportunity to get the new CGR on the water. I was not disappointed. Teamed with an Heddon 320 and an Orvis Hydros WF6 line, the little rod impressed.

The rod was christened on a heavy brown day one, and then several 20+ rainbow on the second day. An amazing rod once fish are hooked! Not a single broken tippet and an absolute blast to work big fish on.

Smooth casting, well built and priced right. This rod shines in the Glass arena in my opinion.

For the full blog review click on the link below:

Cabelas CGR Review

We were on Fishing Creek, near Bloomsburg.

Man, I thought for a second you may have been talking about the Del and I was going to sneak up there this week. I bet it's doing ok. The fishing's been decent everywhere.

Nice review, too. Cheap glass is fun.

Yeah, the weather treated us well, and the fish were hungry.

I own this rod, and I like it. Haven't decided if I want to fish it with a 5 or 6 weight. I did fish it with both. Did you fish it with a 5 weight? Your thoughts?

I tried a DT5 and it threw fine. I would not hesitate using it for primarily dry flies. But it becomes a real performer with a WF6. I'm actually throwing the bass bug taper which really throws nymph rigs and heavy streamers nicely.

I have to thank someone here for the sale alert on these. For $51.00 I had to get the 4 WT. put the smallest medalist on it and lawn casts fine. Unlike you hardy soles I won't be on the water anytime soon. It's a nicely made rod, nice case. I handled the Orvis glass in marlton NJ. beautiful rod but it was $350.00 more. I wanted the glass for fishing Valley and in the Valley. So whoever you were, thanks for the sale tip.

nice review - great blog - almost feels like i was there :>

For those of you who are new to fiberglass rods:

Don't overlook vintage Fenwick and Phillipson rods (and a few others). Some of them are superb, and can be found at very reasonable prices. There was an article published in 2009 by Ton Chandler listing the top 12 fly rods of all times. Of course this is very subjective. Among those rods is one that I own: a Fenwick 7 1/2' 5 weight Feralite fiberglass rod.

If anyone wants to cast Fenwick fly rods, stop by sometime. I own 4 of them.

Have to add one more thing: there are many fiberglass flyrodders (like me) who consider the Cabela's Prime one piece fiberglass fly rod to be the best of the 2 glass rods that Cabela's has to offer. If you live close to a Cabela's store, I suggest you cast both of them. Cabela's will accommodate you to take the rods outside and lawn cast them.

Back