C. Craven's Basic Fly Tying

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Received the book abt 3 weeks ago and I’ve read thru some of it. The concept of tying 19 flies and each one building and growing certain techniques intrigues me. That said .. it’s a nice commitment but can be beneficial if I learn all the techniques. Also .. what ever fly I’m up to can use in our beginner swaps.

Have any of u gents done/followed the book when you were starting out?

Would you recommend going thru the process?

Also thinking I can just jot down the flies, youtube the patterns and choose the video I like, stay on his schedule and still build up my technique

What do u gents think?

/// I have abt 7 more days to return it back to Amazon

I had been tying for close to 15 years when I purchased that book. I consider myself a decently advanced tier. That said, I refer to that book quite a bit. Sometimes I flip through it just for the fly box and fly pictures.

While I did not follow his suggested progression, I could see where that approach would benefit a novice. Some of the flies are decidedly western (RS II), but the techniques involved offer a solid foundation.

My advice is to keep it. You could do far worse for a beginners manual.

Also, I am fairly certain tutorials for all of those flies are available on his website.

i have tied for 30+ years and i also own the book.

noone can tell you how YOU should progress but i dont see anything wrong with following charlies book. he is one of the best fly tyers in the country and know his stuff. there is not alot of you tube tyers that can come close to the quality of fly tying like charlie does. There is a few.

if you think you wont benefit from following charlies book and only want to learn techniques then get this book

63L6.jpg

I am still a novice and I did use the book as a guide to start tying flies. I found the book very helpful and the progression useful.

I never made it all the way through the book but I would guess I made it about 3/4 through the "lessons".

Stags, I think it's a nice book and you should keep it or buy a similar book.

I picked up this book:

The Art of Fly Tying

Although online videos are the best way to learn, I'm constantly referring to the book.

That is probably one of the best books I have. I have been tying for over 10 years and I tie many different styles and types of flies and I reference that book a lot when I want a quick refresher on tying a fly I haven't tied for a while.

I am old school, I like books that I can turn pages and hold in my hand instead of you tube or other videos.

I would suggest that you keep the book.

Bill

I do not have the book, but I have been tying for 25 years... And I still suck at tying.
Follow the book.

Stags

I have the book and while some of what our mentors have shown me differs from what he says in the book, I think it's a worthwhile reference to keep.

What else are you going to do with your spare cash? Now that you are tying, you are saving money big time on flies, right? :)

nfrechet wrote:
i have tied for 30+ years and i also own the book.

noone can tell you how YOU should progress but i dont see anything wrong with following charlies book. he is one of the best fly tyers in the country and know his stuff. there is not alot of you tube tyers that can come close to the quality of fly tying like charlie does. There is a few.

if you think you wont benefit from following charlies book and only want to learn techniques then get this book

63L6.jpg

This is a great book for showing someone how to do a task, but it is not a book to learn fly tying, nor is it a pattern book.

Its simply a collection of how-tos for various steps.

I know you're some sort of contractor, so to put it in perspective: It won't explain to you how to refurbish your bathroom, but it will show you how to change a faucet, replace tiles, and put in your toilet; its up to you to decide when you need to apply said techniques.

As to the one you've asked about, there's lots of places to cheap out: As useful as online videos may be, having a step-by-step manual in front of you can be invaluable versus looking at some guy's gnarled old hands obscure the vise during crucial steps while intoning how to do something that you don't understand.

I don't have it, but I've heard too many times how good it is. Keep it, it will be one of many, many, more you will collect.

I received it as a retirement gift from Tim Murphy. Seems I told him I wanted to take up tying. Get the book! Lots of really good information not just on flies but materials, tools and techniques. Get the book.

So looks like I'm gonna give his process a shot. Ordered some more materials today and I'm going to try to go thru the process. May skip a fly or two but gonna see how I do. Agree with Rolf and u guys that the book has a nice amt of info outside of the actual tying. Gonna say a decent $30 investment so far.

He says all the building block techniques should allow me to tie almost any fly down the road :lol: but I think the structured tying will be really good for me.

On a side note ... each and every time I sit down by the vise for and hour or two I'm really enjoying it.

Stagger, I saw a copy of Eric Leiser's "Book of Fly Patterns" advertised in the swap section. It has a lot of classic patterns (most of the stuff I use), some good process instructions, and decent plates.

I reference the book often for classic recipes.

10 bucks isn't bad BChaser BUT I'm gonna concentrate on Craven's book for now if I'm gonna follow one ... saw it n Amazons site and that is something I might be interested in when I'm more experienced. I like the color picture and other aspects of CCravens book.

I just spent a nice amt of $$$ on materials, tools, etc .. my next investment is gonna be a decent vise. With the different, strong opinions on this board (which I love and respect) ... that should be an interesting thread.

I understand fully, Stagger. I just thought I'd throw the recommendation out there.
I'm not up to par on a lot of the new fly tying books on the market. I started tying years ago, under my Dad's teaching. My copy of Leiser's book was given to me by my neighbor (who has since passed) when he was unable to tie flies and fish anymore.
He took me fly fishing as a kid when my Dad was at work. So sentimental value/nostalgia, to me, may make that book better than it really is.

To start your vise thread... Renzetti Traveler pedestal base. Hahaha!

I liked Craven's book. I was lucky enough to have the library in Bethlehem which had that book and a few other beginner books but I probably learned more from Craven's book then I did from 3 other beginner books combined. He's just good at describing what he's doing in writing and pictures and he doesn't leave out any of the little details.

Stage

I have the Renzetti. It is the one I had at the Newbie Jam. If you want to try it out we can make arrangements to get together.

Dave

Back