Buying Local

C

c_nesbella

Today, I visited a local fly shop that I frequent regularly to inquire about reels. I always try to buy locally to support local business even if I have to pay a little more or not have the selection I would ordering online. It really bit me in the behind today. Bought two vintage reels and a supposed spare spool. Knew I was overpaying for the reels and did just didn't realize by how much, didn't and doesn't bother me. What did bother me is the "spare spool", which the owner left in the bag and I didn't bother checking when there. Got home to find the spare reel spool was nothing more than a plastic spool. To top it off he charged me $30. I don't even want to say what I paid for the reels but it was close to double what they're probably worth. Hard to believe a shop that I spent a good bit of money over the years could be so outright deceptive. I could complain but I'm not sure it would do any good, seeing as the owner couldn't have been oblivious to the deception. They just lost a good customer and I learned several important expensive lessons. Maybe it's time I start changing my stance on buying locally. Think my chances of getting ripped off wouldn't be as bad on ebay. Attempted to add pics of the reels and awesome "reel spool"(plastic junk), not sure how to get it working.

Dude, I’ve see the pictures you posted of this on Facebook. You bought a cassette reel and that “piece of plastic” IS a spare spool for that type of reel. As a comsumer, it’s your responsibility to know what product you are purchasing, the shop owner is not at fault

Take it all back and get your money. If he doesn't give you your money back then raise He//. Make sure he's got a crowd in the shop when you do it. A squeaky wheel gets the grease.lol

Sounds like you bought a Sth, flueger or Hardy cassette reel. Provide sspecific on what you paid and what for and will be able to tell you if you got "ripped off".

He posted the pictures on Facebook, he bought an Orvis Rocky Mountain cassette reel and it came with a spare cassette.

Two things come to mind here:

Buyer beware.

and

A fool and his money are soon parted.

I too try to buy local, buy American, and support small businesses more so than big box, catalog stores. But it is YOUR responsibility to know what fair market value is. And then you can decide to spend more or less as you see fit. I've no issue spending a few dollars more for something when I know the person behind the counter can answer questions or give specific insight to a guy who may need some help.

If you go out and make a binge purchase, or whatever, and end up with buyers remorse, its on you. If you know the guy, take it back, explain the situation. Getting your money back is much more helpful than bashing some anonymous shop owner. If he refuses the return, then maybe you have a right to bash him, but give the guy a chance to do right by you.

I'm guilty of the occasional impulse buy. Sometimes I regret it. Sometimes I'm happy I didn't think too much and just went with it. In either case, no one held a gun to my head. Its your money, spend it wisely. Or not.

I think you should cool down a bit and go talk to the guy. But what do I know.

timbow wrote:
He posted the pictures on Facebook, he bought an Orvis Rocky Mountain cassette reel and it came with a spare cassette.

I had one of these reels and it served me well for many years (decades - and I'm very tough on gear).

But yes - if he's unhappy with the purchase - he should return to the shop and ask for a refund or exchange.

Just FYI.

Below is a pic of an Orvis Rocky Mountain Cassette Reel. The spool is a plastic "cassette" that snaps in and out to change out lines quickly.

The asking price on-line for a used one is between $40 and $50. If you feel you paid too much, or don't like something about the reel, just take it back.

Attachments

• Orvis Rocky Moutain Cassette Reel.jpg
    Orvis Rocky Moutain Cassette Reel.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 3
Buyers remorse.

Not the shops fault. The price was what it was. A well informed customer would either:

A) Try to negotiate a lower price.

B) Laugh and walk away.

Knew I was overpaying for the reels and did just didn't realize by how much, didn't and doesn't bother me. What did bother me is the "spare spool",

If you knew what that you were overpaying and it doesn't bother you why are you complaining? Because the spare spools are plastic? You knew you were overpaying but didn't know this about the reel?

Sorry, this is all on you.

That shop must open awfully early. Maybe the owner wasn't quite awake yet.

I'd just take everything back for a refund or try to negotiate a lower price based on the comparison shopping you did after you got home.

DaveS wrote:
Two things come to mind here:

Buyer beware.

and

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Several things came to mind with me, and although those were on the list, they weren't in the top two.

First thought is why would anyone purchase anything, not knowing what it was, then complain about it on the innertubes without first attempting to remedy the situation?

One should have taken the freakin thing back, before complaining on social media. You might have been surprised.

And second thing is, if same person took the reel back before whining on their look at me accounts, and got a full refund, would said person post how satisfied they are on said accounts?

OK, second one was just making a point. I really don't wonder that.

They were vintage Clearwater model's. The spool was not for them, it was represented as being for them. I was upset about being deceived by a shop I frequented regularly. Any expert that can get that spool on either reel could have them. It's not the correct spool. Was happy with the reels. Wasn't happy about being decieved about the spool. I learned a lesson and will be more observant next time, end of story. Never once did I mention the shop or where it was located in my social media post. It was all about being deceived over the product.

c_nesbella wrote:
They were vintage Clearwater model's. The spool was not for them, it was represented as being for them. I was upset about being deceived by a shop I frequented regularly. Any expert that can get that spool on either reel could have them. It's not the correct spool. Was happy with the reels. Wasn't happy about being decieved about the spool. I learned a lesson and will be more observant next time, end of story. Never once did I mention the shop or where it was located in my social media post. It was all about being deceived over the product.

My apologies, I thought it was a Rocky Mt. cassette reel from the photos you posted. If in fact, these are Clearwater reels and the cassette was sold to for these reels then you should take it back and ask for a refund. Also, the deceitful tactics or total lack of knowledge by the shop's owner is unacceptable and you should definitely post the name of the shop to make others aware of their practices.

Any chance the owner made an honest mistake and put the wrong spool in? Have you reached out to the shop? Just thinking out loud.

Maybe you aught to check out what you bought before leaving the shop. Maybe if you would of taken a peak at what you bought you would of realized it and could have taken care of it on the spot.
Also, instead of running to facebook, and a forum, how about just calling the shop, or stopping in to discuss. It very possibly could have been a mistake.

ryansheehan wrote:
Any chance the owner made an honest mistake and put the wrong spool in? Have you reached out to the shop? Just thinking out loud.

There it is.

Did the shop owner think you were never going to try to use the spool? Was the shop based out of a wagon in a traveling caravan and it had disappeared by the next morning?

Seems like a mistake was made somewhere. Go sort it out.

c_nesbella wrote:

I noticed that you didn't mention the shop on here, but I don't do facebook. I commend you for not naming the shop.

Buyer beware is an important lesson.

But another important lesson IMO is to give benefit of the doubt at least at first. Allow the shop owner the opportunity to make it right. If he has been in the business for considerable time, that didn't happen by ripping people off.

That goes for Ebay as well. I've bought a couple things where I felt they were misrepresented. In one case it was an antique bamboo travel rod. One of the ferrules was split and apparently he didn't notice this.

It seems that the average Ebayer these days would simply fire back with negative feedback instead of trying to work it out. I contacted the seller and splained the situation. He told me to send it back for a refund. But I still wanted the rod (because I have a stockpile of old parts) so we worked out a deal where he knocked a few bucks off.

One of these days I hope to completely rebuild it and will likely use all new ferrules or new old stock.

On another occasion I was the seller. I think the item was a crystal bowl that my wife picked up at an estate auction. When I was packing the item, I noticed a chip that I hadn't seen earlier. Before shipping I contacted the buyer and explained the situation. I offered a full refund and I keep the bowl.

At first I think he felt that I just wanted to keep it because he did win the item for a very low price. Then I sent him a picture of the damage and presented a second option.

I send the bowl to him, and refund everything but the shipping cost.

He took the first option and we gave each other positive feedback.

Look, shart happens. Give the guy a chance to make it right.

Seriously. What is the worst thing that could happen if you took it back and gave him that opportunity to make it right?

I doubt he will get violent about it.

Know what you are buying, know what a fair price is, actually check the product before leaving the store.

If you automatically assume that the owner was sitting in the shop laughing because he got one over on you, I'm guessing that you are wrong. If you got bent and posted here / there complaining about getting ripped off..... without contacting the shop, I'd say you are wrong again. Contact them, explain what happened and give them the chance to make it right before you get on your high horse to public shame someone. People can make honest mistakes.

If the shop tells you 'tough sh*t sucker", I think you then have the right to be ticked.....but you still should have checked the gear prior to leaving. Just saying

Back