Buying a vise..Guidance?

gfen

gfen

I picked up a cheap kit last year, against the advice of the masses... And for anyone who might read this, they're right: The materials are junk, the instruction booklet is junk, the tools are subpar and the vise is why I'm asking this question...

This particular unit is the Cabela's "Master Vise." Its not that its useless, I mean, it works. Honestly, it works good enough for me.. Its just that I don't like it. There are some shortcomings that I can see (rotary would be nice just to get a better view of the fly, it could be sturdier, it could certainly be a little more robust around the collet).

So, I've found myself considering replacing it...Let me list the following options in order of ascending price:

1) An Indian Regal knockoff: I loved the Regal that I used, but its absolutely out of my price range and far beyond my needs. I worry that $40 invested in the knockoff isn't well spent considering the real Regal has problems with chipping jaws.

2) Dan-Vise: $80, cammed jaws, rotary action. Seems like this is "good enough" for me. Plenty of capability I'm not soon to outgrow, and evidently they're robust and hold up.

3) Griffin Odyssey Cam: $149. I really, really liked this vise, but I'm not if I can justify $150 for it, essentially 2x the Dan-Vise. Again, it looks great, but is it functionally any better?

4) I just keep using the same thing I've got now, as what this probably all boils down to is mostly jealousy at the nicer stuff, and while the cheap one I have may be awkward, its not really holding me back from what I need to do.

Advise?

Well, I have the odyseey cam and love it. However, I heard that people with larger fingers have trouble on Griffin's, and since I have skelator fingers it's not a problem. Although, I don't see how larger fingers/hand would hinder the use of this vise.

I think a moderate priced vise ($30 -- $80) is probably ideal.
I don't use my rotary function as much as I though I would, but it still comes in handy once in awhile. Plus the more you tie flies, you'll know what the other side of the fly looks like without actually seeing it.

Overall, I would go with the cam jaws or the "regal" style jaws and stay away from the screw to tighten style.

My largest piece of advise, and most people here tend to agree, is sometimes it's worth splurging and buying yourself something nice every once in awhile. So if you aren't completely satisfied with any $100 vises, but like a $150 or $200 one, it will be worth it and more meaningful to you in the long run.

A rotary feature is the one thing I really recommend in a vise.
IMO, it's really nice to be able to turn the fly while tying and trimming, and also to inspect it when finished.
My first vise was a thompson 360, which was a top of the line vise 25 years ago. I used it for about a 12 years, and it was OK
I then bought a regal knockoff - really liked being able to just put any fly in it without having to adjust the jaws. I used it for about 10 years - it was great, however the cheaper metal in the jaws would wear, and start to lose holding power. I would then have to take it apart and file them smooth again - about every year or 2.
A few years ago, I sprung for a regal - $160 with out the base - and used the old base from my knockoff.
It was money well spent - I really like it.
If you're really nuts about flyfishing, and tie lots of flies - like I do - I would recommend the regal. Probably be the last vice you buy

I am a novice when it comes to fly tying but I wish I had a pedestal bottom instead of the clamp. On the desk I work at has a drawer in the middle- so I can't use the clamp in the middle of the desk- it's annoying.

I'll echo what paul said, and say that you definitely need to get something with a sturdy base.

Paul, this worked for me: I removed the drawer. Something to consider, no?

That might happen if I tie more which seems inevitable. I still like the benefits of the pedestal base. Easy to manuver.

I’ve got an older Renzetti Traveler rotary pedestal vice with screw operated jaws (no longer made). This is a nice vice and I believe they go around $190 new. This is a great all around vice. The only negative on this vice (at least with the screw jaws) is I was constantly fiddling with the adjustment screws especially when using smaller (24 and smaller) or larger (8 and bigger) hooks.

While I liked the Renzetti vice and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend one, about 6 months ago I had the opportunity to tie on a bunch of different vices. I ended up buying a Dyna-King Trekker rotary pedestal vice with cam jaws (about $230). This is the vice I now use, as it easily accommodates anything from large saltwater hooks to size 32 hooks with minimal adjustment. I cannot say enough good things about this vice. It is pricey but well worth it in my opinion.

Another vice to consider is the Dyna-King Kingfisher pedestal vice with cam jaws. This is Dyna-King’s entry level vice and it is an excellent vice for around $130.

Also, do not hesitate to buy a used vice, either. The Renzetti I own I bought used from a fly shop for about $60 and it was in almost perfect condition.

Lastly, in my opinion the main thing to consider when buying a vice is what size flies will you be tying. If you are going to tie flies mostly in the 10 – 20 size range, almost any brand name entry-level vice will do. If you intend to tie larger or smaller flies, seriously consider upgrading to the next level or at least buying a vice that you can pull the jaws and insert midge or salt water jaws.

At the risk of taking ridicule.... and this is ONLY my opinion.

Low end bargain vises are great to learn on but if you want to be a serious fly tyer throw the extra cash down. You will save yourself tremendous frustration in the future. Plus your flies will turn out better because of more room to work, rotary function etc..., generally speaking. And you will have a more durable product and longer lasting product.

Now if you’re only tying a few flies every once in a while I can see skimping on the price.

I just remember when I reached the point in my tying that I was continually frustrated with my vise and when I bought a better one, a griffin mongoose, I was veery happy and noticed that my flies were turning out better.

THAT IS JUST MY OPINION! Now everyone, commence to post how great vises don’t make great flies and it’s the tier not the vise etc…… ha ha ha

If you can live for the time being without the pedestal base, I don't think there is a better value out there than the Griffin Odyssey Spider at about 80 bucks.

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0011287.shtml

I've been tying on one of these for 8 years and I have the flies to prove it:
l8110.jpg

I have the Dan-Vise and I am very happy with it. The rotary feature improved my tying greatly. Get rid of the desk clamp. I found a pedistal for 10 bucks. I'll never go back to the clamp.

All of it depends on your budget. 80 bucks seems like a good middle of the road type thing to me. It works well. Now you can spen the rest of the mony on something useful like lift tickets.

Seven Springs and Snowshoe are both opening this weekend.

There's another thread fairly recent that discussed vises and IMHO is worth the read.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5400&forum=5

I've put a good bit of time in on my Peak vise since I purchased it and couldn't be happier. I also upgraded from a clamp model I got nearly 10 years ago to a pedistal. It served me well but time to upgrade.

Dan Vise seems to get good reviews, check out Afish's link in the other thread.

i also have a peak vise very satisfied with it

I have a rotary vice and rarely use the rotary feature. Mine is a Renzette (not spelled right I'm sure) I believe and I paid like $170 for it I think. I love it but my flies look no better then the cheap $20 vice I first purchased that tied a couple thousand flies with. As long as I can rotate the vice to see the top and the bottom of the fly then I'm happy. Some of the cheap ones you can do this with. I have a friend that ties professionally and he still uses a cheap vice. If you tie real fancy patters then maybe you will want the rotary feature but honestly I find them over rated. The vice doesn't tie the flies remember that! A good bobbin and quality thread make the biggest difference when tying flies along with lots of practice.

RLeeP wrote:
If you can live for the time being without the pedestal base, I don't think there is a better value out there than the Griffin Odyssey Spider at about 80 bucks.

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0011287.shtml

I have the Odyssey and I love it. I'm sure there are better vises out there, but I can't say I've ever said to myself "This is great, but I wish it had a ball bearing in it". Maybe if I tried one of the expensive ones I'd be hooked, but for now I'd recommend the Odyssey.

Boyer

I have a renzetti traveler, pedestal base. Sounds a lot like what Green Weenie has. I love the vice, its never given me a problem. I'm not exactly a great tier though, so take it for what its worth.

Thanks for the input, I made a choice today.

I decided that a Regal clone just didn't make any sense.
I took a hands-on look at the Danvise, Griffin's Odyssey Cam, Spider, and Montana as well as several Renzetti's.

Didn't care for the Renzetti line, and I decided the Danvise was just chunky feeling, and didn't seem to offer me what I wanted. Plus, seemed to smallish at the back of the fly. The Montana just didn't excite me.

So, it was either the Odyessey Cam @150 or the Odyssey Spider @80. As much as I like the cam system, I went for the Spider..I can make do with spinning the thumb screw to change the hook, and as much as I wanted the nicer one, it was just a waste.

...and as for "splurging on oneself," trust me, I have no such hangups. :) I could've made do with my crapvise, but I just didn't want to. Unfortunatly, the wife says I don't get it until the holidays.

For anyone who stumbles across this thread, after using it for a few months I gotta say that the rotary feature is worth the price of admission alone! Its great to just turn a handle to see the bottom, or trim off a few errant hairs. I've only actually used the rotation to wrap materials a few times, and its also very easy and makes things go by much faster.

Now, the downside: If I don't take the time to properly set both the front and rear set screws, I can get some movement in the hook while I tie. OTOH, if I the front tight and then clamp with the rear, its solid.

For the price, I don't think I could've done any better in a rotary vise, and in turn the rotary feature is fantastic to a fixed position vise.

Back